I live in Central NY (small town near Syracuse) where the local fire dept has just purchased an 1804 2 story Federal style house that they are planning to demolish to make room for a new firehouse. This is a post and beam structure, in very good condition, I believe 3 families have owned it in the last 175 years or so (I owned prior to 1990). Has a slate roof, old windows and doors, attached 1 car garage. It was originally a stage coach inn on the Seneca Turnpike and the 3 upstairs bedrooms are large with 20' domed ceilings as it was an old ballroom. I am just sick at the thought of it ending up in a landfill but am in the process of trying to save an old octagon house at the moment and dismantling a large structure is beyond my level of expertise!
Anyway, the fire dept is willing to allow someone to dismantle it. It's not severely time critical but they won't keep it there forever. They do not require the site to be left completely cleared or the stone foundation to be removed (unless someone wants to take that too).
Please respond if you have any interest or ideas on how to save this old house! karemay@onebox.com