Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Powderpost beetles #6461 02/26/06 01:48 AM
H
Housewright Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Could anyone share some information about powderpost beetles? What humidity level do they prefer? How many species are there? Do they actually eat wood? etc. Thanks.

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Powderpost beetles #6462 02/26/06 08:17 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Housewright,

The adult "emerged" beetles do not eat wood or anything else come to that. Their only purpose at this time in their life cycle is to mate and then die.

During mating the males are required to pass over a packet of nitrogenous nutrients to the females and this is used as the primary source of sustenance for emerging grubs. It is the grubs that eat the wood and they do so for years before they too emerge as adults. Wood is very low in nitrogen content and thus the grubs have to eat their way through quite a few platefulls of wood before they too can metamorphise and exit via "flight" holes as adult beetles. The grubs find it much easier to live and eat the wood after this has been softened up due to fungal action. For fungal action to take hold one needs high humidity i.e. cool damp conditions.

The adult females will weigh any prospective mates climbing onto their back to make sure that he has a sufficiently large nitro packet to transfer to her and any "runts" or "spent" forces will quickly be flicked off.

If one inspects an old chair that has been glued together using animal product (hoof and horn) glue then one can see that the insect damage at the joints is much more significant than elsewhere in the chair. This is due to the high nitrogen content in the glue providing a tastier meal for those prospective beetle studs.

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Powderpost beetles #6463 02/27/06 04:27 PM
P
Pete Ladd Offline
P
It is my understanding that they can be controlled by treating the surface of the timber. This gets the grubs, I guess, as they penetrate the surface of the wood. Due to the life-cycle, it can take more than one season before the effect is significant.

Borax products such as Timbor are recomended, but a pest control person once told me paint, oil, or stain would help.

Pete

Re: Powderpost beetles #6464 03/11/06 06:45 PM
G
gordmac Offline
G
G'day Housewright!

Not sure of you've already got the info you're after, but I thought I would add the following:

i) Powder post beetles are after the starch that lies within the cells of the sapwood...so they don't pose much risk to heartwood, and generally bugger-off after the sapwood has been chomped.

ii) There's some argument about required moisture content and humidity, but the required range is 6-32% MC and 7-40% H...doesn't really narrow it down much does it!

iii) There are two types of powder post beetle: Bostrychidae and Lyctidae (more common I think)...the adults are about twice the size of a pinhole borer or furniture beetle and half the size of a Longhorn.

iv)I was taught to identify the grubs by looking at the mess they make: they don't make frass pellets like many other wood borers, but instead leave the dust choking their caverns. This often expands and deforms the thin layer of wood that they leave at the surface of timbers; giving it a bulged look (very brittle to touch).

v) Surface treatments don't work very well for killing off an active population unless applied early days, but can prevent re-infestation.

...have a look at Brian Ridoubt's 'Timber Decay in Buildings' (Amazon carries it...I just checked)

Re: Powderpost beetles #6465 03/12/06 04:19 PM
T
Thomas-in-Kentucky Offline
T
Since I started looking, I have identified at least 4 different kinds of beetles munching on my wood. I guess they all get lumped together as powder post beetles, but given that one is called the "true powder post beetle," the other probably aren't true powder post beetles.

One particularly voracious beetle, the ambrosia beetle, especially likes yellow poplar, maple, walnut, and chestnut oak. This beetle works on green wood, prefers sapwood, and the ADULTS do the damage. I have left boards next to my sawmill overnight, only to return the next day and find that it looks as if they've been peppered with a shot gun. These beetles work FAST. Within 12 hours, they can bore about 1/8th inch into the wood. If you pour diesel on them, they back out of their holes and die within a minute. If you pour undiluted Boracare on them, they plow around, pull theirselves out of the puddle, and start boring again! eek I took a mason jar full of these live critters to a KY state forestry worker, and he took them to UK and they ID'ed them for me. It looks like they have two segments to their bodies, because their head is tucked under their midsection. They are usually black and about the size of a poppy seed. At certain times of the year, the air is thick with them flying and you might mistakes them for gnats. They bore and lay their eggs in the sappy wood, where conditions are just right to grow "ambrosia" (beetle beer). When the youngsters hatch, they drink the fungal fermentation. This is what I've been told, and observations support this. Consequently, I've been told they do not work on dry wood, and would likely not re-infest my wood once it is inside my house. I hope this is true, because they can take a beautiful (green) board or timber and perforate it in less than 24 hours. The saw dust that comes out of their holes usually looks like little soda straws. I have even seen them working on _live_ yellow poplar trees. After I started looking, I even found one in an ear of corn.

As mentioned by other posters, most of the damage caused by the other wood boring beetles is said to be attributable to the youngsters that hatch. (although I haven't observed them in action like I have the ambrosia beetles - I've only seen the adults, and then observed the damage.) I spent over $1000 on Boracare to treat the timbers that are going into my house. I'm not sure if it was a waste of money or not. In other words, I have observed substantial wood-borer damage on timbers within 6 months of drenching them with boracare. (boracare mixed 1:1 with water, per manufacturer's directions) To be fair to the manufacturer (and to try and rationalize the money I spent on the boracare!), perhaps the boracare will kick-in and protect my wood against subsequent generations of beetles, or maybe beetles would have damaged my wood even more if I had not treated it with boracare. In any case, Boracare is not a panacea... read their disclaimer before you buy it. (does not guarantee protection!)

There is at least one kind of wood boring beetle that does work on heart wood. I have seen it - it seems to love my white oak timbers. I will post pictures of their handy-work on my web site before the end of today.

Kiln drying at high enough temperatures should kill the adults and their eggs. I did that for my tongue-and-groove ceilings, but that wasn't an option for my timbers. I guess the best strategy is to oversize your timbers and leave enough wood to share with the creatures? smile

new timber frame house in progress - with pictures of wood borer damage.

Re: Powderpost beetles #6466 03/13/06 08:24 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Thomas,

I wanted to email you but there does not seem to be a link to do same on the TFG or your own website. Please email me and I will reply with my enquiry.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Powderpost beetles #6467 03/18/06 01:26 PM
T
Thomas-in-Kentucky Offline
T
Thanks Ken - I've hopefully fixed my email profile now. BTW, a couple of days ago, I was able to photograph a true powder post beetle (I think that's what it is) that flew down on one of my timbers. I posted the new picture of this bug on my web site.

Some days the air is thick with these bugs, and if you don't look closely, you'd think they were just gnats. The other day was just one of those days here in KY.

-Thomas

link to a recent picture of a powder post beetle

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users