Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How to cut a post in place. #6517 02/06/07 12:07 PM
T
Timbo Offline
T
I've tried to be diplomatic ,but honestly scarfed extentions for raising a building? A new post could be fashioned and installed ( and would be a better repair) . Scarfs are not difficult, but they are complicated and time consuming, and mentioned earlier some customers could care less about a masterpiece of joinery hidden in their wall. Seriously I'm interested in how you would cut the joint. Not where but what tools you would use to get 4 surfaces(that will be in compression) to align perfectly without shims? We do quite a bit of work for historic preservatiion here in NY and they indeed do want to preserve historic fabric, they are not cheap and indorse the bolted lap joint. I'm trying to find some photos of some sheared scarf joints, they do split if loads aren,t distributed correctly. I would not recommend scarfed joints as a normal post repairs. We don,t usually have the luxuarry of choosing every client, ya gotta eat. The're still great scarfs.

Timothy W Longmore
Re: How to cut a post in place. #6518 02/06/07 03:45 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
I have scarfed post bottom repairs on several occasions, I have even done so while working for a timberframer who was also an engineer. In most cases I have been able to do the cutting on the post when the frame is disassembled for relocation. The router jig method mentioned by Scott McClure works very well, and can be followed by a chain saw using EDM tracer guides as well. Moisture problems can be reduced by coating both halves of the scarf with end sealer before final assembly. I realize that most clients have a limited budget. Compared to the cost of stainless steel hardware, joinery solutions are a reasonable option. Tom

Note, I did not use templates or a jig to cut these two scarfs, the center post was replaced (it's easier to cut a tenon than a scarf) Tom

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: How to cut a post in place. #6519 02/07/07 01:27 AM
T
Timbo Offline
T
Thanks for info Tom , I use chainsaw for quite alot of my joinery too. I usually try to cut a shallow kerf with the circular saw first. That sometimes seems to be the hardest and most dangerous part of the procces. I've also used slabbing mills for some of the work on the splints. We've also used circ. saw and finished with recip. but lining up the circ. saw kerfs was kind of hit or miss due to surface irregularities. I like to treat all end grain on repairs too , we use clear poly stain.

Timothy W Longmore
Re: How to cut a post in place. #6521 02/08/07 12:44 AM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused OP
OP Online Confused
J
I do welcome comments... including yours Derek...
When they have some value....
But when you say you know 50 ways that are better and then won't share any....
I have to conclude it's just a lot of hot air.....

Timber Goddess asked me for a "how it is done" story, and I posted it.

I did a search once, of your latest posts, of the last fifty I could see only three were offering any advice, and most of them you stated to ask someone else with more knowledge then the poster.......

Until you post something of any value, I have to assume you're here as a social club, at best.....

I've proved my willingness to help others, and you say you've got game........

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: How to cut a post in place. #6524 02/08/07 01:26 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Alright, guys take it outside.

Re: How to cut a post in place. #6525 02/09/07 09:24 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
oh, I don't know Gabel. It's not bad entertainment actually. I mean, I sat in front of the TV last night for a couple of hours and got less chuckles than I did from reading this thread through.... I like the fact that, so far, this forum stays open to all the posts that come in and therefore folks can read through and take what information they like away.. In this thread I found myself going back to Ken Hume's post to read again. Repair can be a tough task and I know that sinking feeling when you've already spent money working for someone and you find yet another rotten piece of wood....

Re: How to cut a post in place. #6526 02/09/07 09:55 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Hume:

I don't think that we have yet reached Derek's "50 ways to leave a lover" but the strength of this forum appears to lie in the challenging and informative contributions made by all.
I've got to get my hearing checked, I always thought that was,

"50 ways to load your lumber"

You know,

"Just make a new stack, Jack"

"Go buy a new toy, Roy"

"Better look at the plan, Stan"

"Plant a new tree, Lee"......

:p laugh

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: How to cut a post in place. #6527 02/09/07 11:15 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I'm with Gabel, bragging, taunting, and insulting leads to no good, disagreements can be civil and valuable. Remember this forum should or could be read by school kids. So keep it clean and fair. If you think or need otherwise seek out or sponsor Bad Mojo's Virtual Wild West Saloon, a place where anything goes.

Re: How to cut a post in place. #6528 02/10/07 07:05 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
...At least I learned how to cut a post in place.... :rolleyes:

Re: How to cut a post in place. #6529 02/15/07 07:50 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
Play nice.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker