Print Thread
Rate Thread
dissembling timberframe shed #6532 01/10/07 08:07 PM
B
Barbara Flores Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello,
we just acquired (free of charge) an old shed that is 8'9x14"6". we're going to move the building to our place to reassemble. most of the siding is missing, there is an earthen floor, can't see pillars at all four corners but I guess they're buried there.
what is the best way to mark the pieces are we take it apart? some timbers are split logs with bark still on, others are handhewn. it is beautifully pegged and fitted. timbers at one short end have been cut away for greater access I guess. would appreciate any advice.
barbara flores

Re: dissembling timberframe shed #6533 01/10/07 08:46 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
Barbra, I couldn't find Durand on the map , what part of Illinois are you located. I'm in Grafton, just north of St.Louis area.
It would be nice to see the shed, or some pictures.
Just a couple of thoughts,

Take lots of pictures of the building as you are taking it down. They can be very useful when you're putting it back up.
There are as many ways to label a frame as there are timberframers. I recommend having a drawing of the frame to make notes on as you are labeling the frame and keep it simple.
A building this size may not need to be taken completely apart, you may be able to move it in sections( fewer parts to keep track of).
Tom.

Not all who wander are lost.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users