Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Traveling Apprentice #6630 09/11/06 05:44 AM
S
Scoots Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am a young custom home builder in Alaska who is interested in learning more about timber framing and wood in general. I will be traveling with a campervan this winter and I am looking for somewhere to learn. I am not looking for some week long session, but I am looking for someone who would be willing to take me on as an apprentice between the monthes of March and June. I have a lot of experience in everything from foundations to finish carpentry, and I also posses a youthful enthusiasm and a yearning for knowledge. The location matters little, but the opportunity for knowledge matters a lot. Although somewhere with good whitewater kayaking would be desirable! Now I'm asking for too much! If anyone out there is keen to the idea or have any advice for me it would be more that appriciated. Thank you for your time.

Re: Traveling Apprentice #6631 10/08/06 06:52 PM
T
TeaHouse Steve Offline
T
Scott could't "get a socket"? to your email address, so here's my reply for your search for apprentice work Mar - June 2007. Steve
Hey Scoots, send me some more info about you and your experience. Here's some about me.
For info about me and my dogs see www.karriaussies.com

Steve Miller
TEA HOUSE DESIGN INC.
11 Benedict Rd P0 Box 99 Waccabuc, NY 10597
(914) 763-3078 fax 763-5951 steveteahousedesign@earthlink.net

I am licensed, insured, experienced and have been timber framing for 31 yrs. I've designed and built new timber frame barns, plus moved, demolished, disassembled, altered, added on to, rebuilt and converted old ones. I’ve also designed and built timber frame houses and additions, including historic restorations and historically accurate additions. For the frames we are using Oak, Eastern White Pine, Douglas Fir, Locust and Chestnut. The oldest houses that I've worked on are two farmhouses here in Westchester County, dated c. 1740, and a Dutch stone & timber farmhouse in Rockland County, dated c. 1700. My company completed an historical restoration of the 1829 Schoolhouse at the John Jay Homestead, a New York State Historic Site in Katonah. I have worked on several projects with the Timber Framers Guild, one being a joint project with Habitat for Humanity.

I've also designed and built a boathouse, small bridges, farm sheds, carports, garages and a catapult (all timber frames). I built my tree house/ tea house by recycling a cylindrical wooden water tank, adding a new deck, a new conical (six hip) roof, plus making doors & windows, and a loft in it.

I have jacked up, shored and lifted sections of buildings in order to complete structural timber and foundation repairs, sometimes lifting whole small barns and sheds (not with bare hands or just by myself). I've also milled timbers directly from logs, and I've done silo work, stick framing, pole buildings, many types of roof work, gates and fencing, decks, garden structures including planters, arbors, trellises and garden benches, plus docks and rafts. I have found solutions to just about every water and drainage problem I've been presented with.

Much of our work on old residences includes improving energy efficiency and indoor comfort, plus elimination/mitigation of hazardous and irritating materials. We also design and make doors, windows, moldings and cabinets. I occasionally make thorough inspections/evaluations of buildings and properties for prospective purchasers, or for possible repair and restoration projects. I work out of Waccabuc NY, in northern Westchester County, about one mile from Connecticut, and I have been in business 35 years.

Steve Miller
steveteahousedesign@earthlink.net

are they carved in wood?
Re: Traveling Apprentice #6632 10/14/06 06:54 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Hey Scoots!
If you're heading south (which I certainly hope you are; north of Alaska must suck!) stop by the West Kootenays here in BC. There are currently 7 timberframe companies of all sizes in the Kootenay Lake area and many a wandering timberwright always willing to talk about the craft. And it's just a cool place to be! Welcome!
*Kristina*

Re: Traveling Apprentice #6633 10/16/06 05:16 AM
T
Tyson Offline
T
Scoots,
When are you heading back to Ak? I'll be working on a barn frame this spring and into summer. It is a 40x48 2 story frame so there is plenty to do. I live on Willow creek and can even loan you a good whitewater boat in the event you have to sell yours to afford gas home.
You can email me at timberworks@gmail.com, you can look at www.tysonsdaily.blogspot.com to see the last timberframe project I've completed.

I envy you as I was hoping to drive my 86' westfalia outside this fall also. Unfortunately I was delayed due to too many projects.

Have a safe trip,
Tyson

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users