Print Thread
Rate Thread
Beech timber? #659 11/19/03 02:13 AM
Z
ZAC Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hello,
I have some Beech timber that i'm going to use in my frame come spring. It was just cut at the mill. I am curious about slowing the drying process using some end sealers? who has used what? also trying to minimize the movement. they are rather large sticks (8"by10"by18' ) and i'm kind of worried about spring time rolling around and having to deal with really twisted beech. some folks have told me about "BRODA", anyone heard of it or used it? any ideas for reducing twisting (If there is such a thing). Thanks for any ideas...
Take care....ZAC

Re: Beech timber? #660 11/19/03 01:21 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
AnchorSeal from UC Coatings is the best, and cheapest end sealer out there. It is used by timber framers as well as sawmills and lumber companies. Put it on as soon as you receive your timbers, or if you're doing the harvesting, as soon as they are cut to length. And you can put it on after the joints are cut on the ends. It's a wax that seals the ends and will help tenons slide into joints later.
Sealing the ends make the moisture evaporate threw the faces of the timber not the ends, hopefully preventing end splitting.
To help to prevent timbers from twisting they have to be stacked properly. First, a good support system with blocks level front to back and left to right. Maybe spaced only 2' apart. Then stack a row of timbers on the base. Then, place a row of stickers directly over the the supports on top of the first row of beams. Then more timbers. Once your pile is complete with stickers between each row of timbers, add another row of stickers,(all stickers could be 2"x2" or larger).
Then some more other lumber to weigh down the pile. You could even put some concrete blocks on top for more weight. If you do put the blocks on top, put enough to make the load even. Then you could put a rain cover over the pile, slope the rain cover to shed the water, but keep the sides and ends open so that air will flow threw your pile. Completely covering your pile could hold in moisture and create a condition for mold or fungus to grow.
The best solution to help prevent timbers from twisting is to cut the joinery now and put the frame together as soon as possible.
Good luck with your project.
Jim
PS. UC Coating can be reached at: Click here for link to UC Coatings and AnchorSeal

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Beech timber? #661 11/20/03 05:53 PM
daiku Offline
I get Anchorseal from Highland Hardware. $14/Gal; $55/5Gal. Anyone have a cheaper source? CB.

Anchorseal at Highland Hardware

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Beech timber? #662 11/21/03 04:20 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
If you go to UC Coatings web site, click on online purchase, enter your country and zip code, then select the product and size of container, quart, gallon, 5 gallon pail, you'll get an instant quote of the price.
I did one and the price for a 5 gallon pail was $47.50.
Your hardware store is marking it up some, I guess.
Why pay more threw a middle man?

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Beech timber? #663 12/01/03 11:39 PM
J
Jon Boright Offline
J
Hey Zac, It's Jon Boright. I have a few gallons of left-over end sealer (anchor seal from UC coatings) from my frame which you can have if you still need it. (sorry if this is too little to late). Also, if you are swinging through the Montpelier area, you can stop at "The Re-Store" and see if they have anything that'll do for corner protectors. I picked up a handfull of cardboard corner protectors (they look like they were originally used for packing some kind of heavy equipment) for about a quarter a piece.

Good luck,

Jon

Re: Beech timber? #664 12/03/03 11:45 PM
Z
ZAC Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hey jon,

Thanks and sure i'll take you up on that. I'll give a call. I found corner post protectors at Lucky's trailer sales in Royalton.(trailer supply company). they are plastic and they seem to work great. see ya soon.
---ZAC

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users