Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6686 08/28/99 06:13 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline OP
OP Offline
B
This Topic will be reserved for the minutes of the meeting and / or other statements from the steering committee.

Bill

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity

While

The Optimist sees Opportunity in every difficulty
Re: minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6687 10/18/99 02:45 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Minutes taken by Paul Price, of a meeting of framers at Westonburt on August 28th 1999
to discuss the organisation of a framers gathering next year

Summary
This was an extremely positive meeting at which everyone present agreed
that holding some kind of event for framers next year was a very good idea.
Discussion centred on the format and potential locations. Some kind of
informal gathering over a single weekend, possibly connected to a community
related timber frame project, was the favoured type of event.
A 'driving committee' of volunteers from those present was set the task of
driving the ideas for an event forward guided by the discussion at this
meeting and feedback from all framers.

Notes
These minutes are only of a general nature outlining some of the main
points raised for the purposes of further discussion among all framers
whether present at the meeting or not. Apologies for any and all
omissions, please correct this by writing a note. Apologies also to all
framers who did not get to the meeting (see you next time!) but please do
make your views and suggestions known. (Best of all offer some time,
skills or contacts to make this meeting happen)
For now please forward all comments to the driving commitee care of Rupert
Newman to
57 Hamilton Road,, Southville, Bristol, BS3 1NZ
or by e-mail to rupert@westwindoak.com

Introductions
Henry Russell, Stefane Roux, Joel Hendry, David Murray, Alan Ritchie,
Justin Rose, James Lovekin, Tony Taylor, Nick Price, Tim Crump, Bill Keir,
Rob Wight, Dan Franklin, Hedge(James Ross), Les Oxborough, Jim Blackburn,
Martin Silburn, John Russell, Paul Slemmings, Paul Russell, Jake Keen, Pete
Eyles, Jane Warnell, Lui Rocca, Charley Brentnall, Phil Bonny, Isobel
Barnden, Piers Sweetingham, Rupert Newman, Jane Welsh,, Stuart Voarden,
John Winterbottom, Diana Hall, James Chitty, Stuart Voaden, Richard de
Trey-White, Paul Price, Patrick Head, James Godden

1994 Meeting
Notes were read from a meeting held in 1994, a list of who was there and
the general points discussed. At that time a steering group was directed
to forward ideas but little happened. Also hung up on the idea of creating
a formal grouping.

Question for todays meeting
Do the people here today agree that it is a good idea to have some sort of
meeting next year? The answer to this question was overwhelmingly yes.

What format should the meeting take? Where should it be held? When should
it be held? The remainder of the meeting discussed ideas relating to these
questions as outlined below.

Meeting format
Meeting could be set up to coincide with another event such as a Wood Fair,
or the Conservation Show at Singleton or a similar event.
"Trade show" exhibition as well as framers get together
Wood fairs at Westonburt and in Sussex
Singleton and Avoncroft museums
would promote timber framing by having displays
Meeting could be an essentially private framers event for individual
framers and their families to come to
relatively easy to organise, only need a date, a location and camping
facilities
one present offered his farm near Stroud as a location
Meeting could be wholly to do with making a building together
probably a publicly visible structure
would need detailed arranging by one person or company to coordinating with
others . Funding etc
best as done in North America as a "public good" community project eg
Habitat for Humanity houses, Guelph city bridge etc
needs to be do-able/finishable by a large number of people within three days

General discussion
Event should be as inclusive as possible of all people framing or
interested in framing.
Base of involved individuals to organise event rather than partisan companies.
Companies could organise a trade show. A formal organisation of framers at
this would get in the way of getting together.
A conference probably too ambitious but any meeting could have seminars and
workshops made by attendees
Have a big party , a "gathering" rather than a conference, with families
and stuff for them as well as framing stuff.
Timber Framers Guild of North America conference are well organised with
many themed seminars, slide shows of work, and often with a project and
several workshops plus parties. Expensive ie about £200 to attend but very
good. Last three days generally.
Put our money where our mouth is and collect a tenner from all present to
fund the event (not done!). A charge would certainly be needed to show
intent and pay for location fees etc.
Would need cheap accommodation preferably camping at or near event location
when? a single weekend in spring or summer

Driving Committee
It was decided to have "driving committee to take the ideas of this meeting
forward.
The volunteers for this committee were as follows: Justin Rose, Tim Crump,
Rupert, Charlie, Jim Blackburn John Winterbottom, Pierre Louis Isobel
Barnden

Communication
All at this meeting were invited to write down their name and address for
publication to all other attendees
the minutes would be published for future discussion by those present and
other framers who were not present
for now there is the existing web site for posting public comments in the
"UK Today" section of Ask the experts at www.tfg.org
all comments and feedback will be made to the driving committee, central
address to be decided. Hopefully a central address will include e-mail as
well as regular mail.
For now the address will be as given above.

le dea-mhéin

Paul Price

[This message has been edited by Bill Keir (edited 11-08-99).]

[This message has been edited by Bill Keir (edited 11-08-99).]

Bill

While

Re: minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6688 10/27/99 09:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear Bill and all (UK) framers,

I was delighted to read Bill's account of a large gathering of UK framers at Westonbirt this August in Gloucestershire, England.

It has been difficult for me to contain my disappointment over the years at the apparent lack of progress made towards forming a UK Guild following our somewhat frosty meeting in 1994 at Stanford Dingley Village hall, deep in the English Berkshires.

This meeting was attended by such North American timber framing worthies as Ed Levin, Scott Murray and Nancy Wilkins who had flown thousands of miles to try and help us along the way. This did not meet with universal approval at the time and I am glad to discover that a new generation of framers has since emerged who are seeking the same but by now different grail.

I was the scribe who dilligently recorded the notes and then published them to all those who attended. I would have thought that they would all have been consigned to the dustbin by now and given their reference in Bill's article maybe this effort was not a total waste of time.

I am very pleased to learn that we have moved on.

I visited the Westonbirt framing project during the early summer and was encouraged to see the timber framing spirit shine from each of the participants in a manner similar to that which I had experienced at events in the USA. I made a return visit later in the year to see the completed frame accompanied by my long suffering wife Janet and son James. We all marvelled at what had been achieved by Gudrun Leitz / Henry Russell / Clare Walters / Anna Harrison Hall and all who took part. I took a series of photographs and James posted them in the picture gallery on our website at www.kfhume.freeserve.co.uk

I am disappointed that I did not make the Westonbirt framers meeting but I certainly take great heart from your news.

For my part I would welcome to meet and help those timber framers who aspire to work traditionally by scribe or square in the woodland - felling, hewing and converting the log where it falls. We are now blessed to own a Woodland in an area of outstanding natural beauty on the edge of the Chiltern hills in South Oxfordshire where at long last timber framing can be practiced in a fashion similar to that described by Jack Sobon and Richard Babcock and all the other framers whose names were not recorded in an obvious manner but whose work still endures centuries later.

Like Bill's wood shed, I too have been building my own 2 bay, North American style, square rule frame which I have cut mainly from boxed heart Douglas Fir and would now cetainly welcome some energetic assistance to complete the roof.

Please let me know if I can help any of you in any way.

My best regards to you all.

Ken Hume

Hampshire, England
ken.hume@pareuro.com

Re: minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6689 11/08/99 05:47 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Please Note:

Credit where Credit is due,

The above minutes are the result of the hard effort put in by Paul (M&T) Price, and Not Bill Keir.

Bill

While

Re: minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6690 11/15/99 12:01 PM
R
Rupert Newman Offline
R
Hi, There is going to be a meeting of the steering group on Thursday the 18th of November at the Woolpack Inn, Slade. If anyone wants to say something specific, please contact me before Thursday at Rupert@westwindoak.com or phone 0117 9668745. Also if any framers out there want to be informed about whats going on, please send me you e-mail address or hotmail address.

Cheers,

Rupert Newman

Re: minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6691 11/19/99 10:28 AM
R
Rupert Newman Offline
R
Minutes from the Westonbirt Steering Committee
Meeting held at the Woolpack Inn, Slade on the 18th of November 1999.

1. Attendance- Joel Hendry, Stefane Roux, Henry Russell, Jim Blackburn, David Murrey, Justin Rose, Aurore, Rupert Newman (minutes).
Apologies- Charlie Brentnall

2. Name- It was decided that a good place to start the meeting was by thinking up a provisional name of the group, to be used in correspondence etc. After many suggestions the name finally agreed upon was
UK Carpenters Fellowship

3. Project or Conference-The group discussed whether it would be better to hold a conference or to undertake a joint project. Henry felt a conference would be better, and informed us about a recent trip to an American Timber Framers Guild conference. It was decided to hold a conference and to discuss joint projects then.

4. Aims of the Conference- The group decided that the main aim of the conference would be to create a Carpenters Fellowship (similar to the American Guild of Timber Framers). At the conference the steering committee would step down, and a new group would be elected to set up and run the Fellowship. It was also decided to invite 6 guest speakers, hold demonstrations, have hewing races (Henrys idea) and have music and beer!

5. Time and Place- August Bank Holiday weekend, 2000 was put forward as the best weekend. Justin was given the job of checking out the availability of the 3 venues, which were - Avoncroft Museum, Earth Spirit Centre Nr Glastonbury and David Murrey’s Farm.

6. Responsibilities and Actions of Steering Group- It was decided that each member should take on an area of responsibility:-
i) Logo-Henry and Jim to design conference logo and Paul Price to print it in the M&T
ii) Accounts and Budget- Charlie suggested using Peter Morris at Carpenter Oak to run the accounts. The group also thought it would be a good idea to think about a possible budget for the conference and to come to the next meeting with costing, such as paying guest speakers. Jim to ask Charlie to set it up.
iii) Organising Speakers- Henry to draw up a list of possible speakers and to check on availability and cost (It was decided to pay all the speakers the same rate).
iv) Contact-Rupert to be the contact person and distribute information (see later).
v) Publicity- To be arranged (if anyone would like to take on this, please come forward).
vi) Sponsorship- We thought it would be a good idea to raise some money to help fund the conference. Sponsorship may be had from Carpenters Company Charitable Trust, Mafell, Earth Cook Foundation, Self-Build Magazines, English Heritage etc. Perhaps Bill Keir or Tim Crump maybe interested in taking this on?
vii) Industry Stands- Louis Rocker to contact tool manufacturers etc. to see if they would be interested in exhibiting at the conference.
viii) Beer and Food- Stefane to find costings on Beer!

7. Entrance Fee-It was decided to pay an entrance fee for the conference and some of this money would go towards setting up and running the new Fellowship.

8. Web Site- Rupert thought it would be a good idea to set up our own web site in the future, where we could have a forum (open discussion on topics) and post the minutes of meetings etc. Also the M&T could be published on the site. It was decided that if interested parties wanted the minutes of the meetings, they should send Rupert an email address to Rupert@westwindoak.com . The minutes will also be posted on the American Framing web site under the UK Today section in ‘Ask the Experts’ at www.tfguild.org . Hard copies of the minutes will be sent to members of the steering group only, by Joel.

9. AOB- Jim suggested building a low cost village hall as a project that the future fellowship could take on.

10. Date of Next meeting- 14th of January, 2000 @ Jim’s Dads, Stackpool Rd., Bristol.

[This message has been edited by Bill Keir (edited 11-19-99).]

Re: minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6692 11/19/99 01:24 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
This all sounds like extremely good news.

How can I help?

Re: minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6693 11/19/99 01:41 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Sponsor the Beer

Bill

While

Re: minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6694 11/21/99 01:47 PM
P
Paul Price Offline
P
Thank you to all those on the steering committee for actually getting together and deciding stuff. Well done! Is it okay to print these and the previous minutes in the M&T? I think all the points made sound good and give us an excellent basis for getting a gathering organised. I do think its important to keep pushing communication and having a fun get together. I have slight reservations about the name not describing what we do enough but it will do, a carpenter I am. Names are difficult eh. I will pass on and discuss the minutes with our merry band of seven or so here. I will try to see how many are genuinely into coming down to the gathering and perhaps we can do some stuff for you from here. M&T delayed by latest house upgrading again but I am trying to get it together. Cheers Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Price (edited 11-21-99).]

Re: minutes of the meeting and / or other statements #6695 11/29/99 12:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Further to Rupert's request below :-

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your letter. Could you post your comments on the TFG UK Today site, so everyone out there can hear your views, that would be very helpful.

Regards,

Rupert
-----Original Message-----
To: Rupert@westwindoak.com <Rupert@westwindoak.com>; prpem@globalnet.co.uk <prpem@globalnet.co.uk>; cowco@netcomuk.co.uk <cowco@netcomuk.co.uk>; joel@tfguild.org <joel@tfguild.org>; will@tfguild.org <will@tfguild.org> Date: 25 November 1999 13:26
Subject: UK Timber Framers

Dear Rupert,

Thanks for all you are doing to get the UK Framers together.

I would appreciate if you could keep me appraised of progress.

I must confess that I, like Paul Price, am not so keen on the selected name and wonder why with the TFGNA now voting to change its name to TFG that we do not simply use this as our primary vehicle, have a UK chapter and then simply get on with organising events this side of the pond, even invite our American and European cousins.

These days I find myself more and more involved on both sides of the pond and have yet another UK / US workshop coming up this February to be held in Oxon / Hants.

The world is getting smaller and methods of communication are now so good that it might be worth reflecting whether it is really necessary to form yet another new organisation. Maybe it might be better to strengthen the existing organisation so that we all have a wider perspective of the craft and an increased awareness of business opportunities.

My suggestion to the assembled fellowship is that they request that the TFG form a UK chapter and appoint a permanent UK person who would be elected by the UK membership to the TFG board. This would then let us concentrate on the activity side rather than get bogged down in administrative matters. Please recognise that this is where things floundered before.

With both Will and Joel are now full time TFG executives and we need to widen the membership base in order to better support the TFG organisation.

Paul Price has made excellent strides with Mortise and Tenon and this is now available in the States via TFGNA. We also have Bill Keir's UK Today page on the website.

Ah - if only life could be this simple.

Regards

Ken Hume

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users