Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
blue mould and white pine #7137 04/18/00 11:29 PM
J
Jason Gibson Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have done a couple of frames out of green, white pine and both times the job sites have been in the woods-shady and damp. I have had a problem keeping the mold out of the beams from the time they leave the shop to the time the frame has a roof-any suggestions?

Re: blue mould and white pine #7138 04/27/00 01:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Gibson:

I have done a couple of frames out of green, white pine and both times the job sites have been in the woods-shady and damp. I have had a problem keeping the mold out of the beams from the time they leave the shop to the time the frame has a roof-any suggestions?

That is why loggers only cut pine in the winter! If you keep it cool and wet it won't stain so fast. I used to know a guy who owned a sawmill, he dipped his pine into a fungicide to keep it from staining.

That's why loggers only cut pine in the winter. I have heard that if you keep it wet and cold, it won't stain as much. I used to know a guy who owned a sawmill, he "dipped" his pine to keep it from staining.

Re: blue mould and white pine #7139 04/30/00 08:19 AM
M
Mark L Surnoskie Offline
M
Jason,
The fungi that causes blue mold, which in its initial stage doesn't effect the strength of the wood, can be controled in a number of ways. Temperature as the other fellow suggested to is one control. Growth stops below 40*F and above 105*F. Oxygen deficiency stops it and moisture content below 20 % or above the saturation point also stop it. Sapwood is what the fungi thrives on because of the carbohydrates stored in the cells. So its not so easy to stop, unless you want to be raising your frame in the the winter or under water, the best way to control it is by using dry timbers, or chemically inhibiting the fungi. Borate salts (Borax) kills the fungi. There are commercial solutions that can be sprayed on such as YardGuard, Timbor etc. These can be obtained from log home supply places like Canadian Log Home Supply (1-800-746-7773)or contact a local sawmill and ask what they use to dip their lumber in to prevent staining. Hope this helps.

Mark Surnoskie
TIMBERWOLFTREE
Pembroke, ON
K8A 7P4
613-732-0233

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users