Rate Thread
How widespread are waferboard problems? #7167 08/08/00 12:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are having trouble with moisture 'wicking' in to the untreated waferboard sheathing in our panels. The nature of the sheathing seems to almost draw moisture into it -- and it seems to be ideal food for fungus once it gets moist. Any thoughts or suggestions?

We have stained clapboad siding -- would a heavier actual paint work better?

There is Typar under the siding, yet water seems to be determined to get in to the waferboard any way it can, even though the siding and trim joinery appear tight.

Re: How widespread are waferboard problems? #7168 02/01/01 01:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by 1pocket:
We are having trouble with moisture 'wicking' in to the untreated waferboard sheathing in our panels. The nature of the sheathing seems to almost draw moisture into it -- and it seems to be ideal food for fungus once it gets moist. Any thoughts or suggestions?

We have stained clapboad siding -- would a heavier actual paint work better?

There is Typar under the siding, yet water seems to be determined to get in to the waferboard any way it can, even though the siding and trim joinery appear tight.

I am certainly no expert and I am quite new to timber framing but I have just read of possibly a similar problem in the March 2001 issue of FINE HOMEBUILDING magazine, in an article by Mark Averill Snyder on pages 86 to 91 he states that the house he was hired to repaint had more problems than just a poor paint job. He found that the cedar siding, which had not been primed on the back side had allowed a small amount of rain to wick through the siding where not only did it ruin the sheathing but it allowed the siding to stay wet. The fix was not cheap by any means but it should solve the problem: He stripped off all of the old siding, then installed a layer of Ice & Water Sheild, a layer of #15 tar paper and 3/8" furring strips; at the top and bottom he installed Cor-A Vent wrapped in window screen material to allow the walls to "breathe" thus letting any rain that wicked through the siding, which he sealed or primed on the back side, be able to dry. Excellent article with many pictures and diagrams. An expensive magazine but well worth the price. I hope this helps.

Jerry Borchert

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users