Rate Thread
Timber Frame & Straw Bale #7191 01/06/01 01:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am looking at building a house in the next year, and would like, as much as possible to use natural products and construction. It seems to me that timber frame and straw bale construction are a perfect match. However, I can't find any adequate references on the web. Has anyone out there combined these two styles successfully? Would you like to share your comments on the building process?

Re: Timber Frame & Straw Bale #7192 01/17/01 05:04 PM
M
mb Offline
M
I haven't found any "authoritatuve" resources on the web, but I can recommend "The Straw Bale House" by Bill Steen and David Bainbridge. It is a comprehensive reference with history, design considerations, case studies, etc. Another book that I have perused at the bookstore but unsure of the exact title and author is "Build it with Bales".

Have you found Out on Bale on the Web? http://www2.strawhomes.com/tls/

Good luck - if you find any other useful references, email them to me.

Re: Timber Frame & Straw Bale #7193 01/19/01 12:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Last Straw is a quarterly journal that is full of stuff about what you're looking for, according to a report in Joiners' Quarterly. Here are a couple of sites to visit and I'll find somemore. www.strawhomes.com www.networkearth.org Also to get books Chelsea Green Publishing at 800-639-4099, I don't have their web page address right now, but I believe they have one. Good luck and more to follow.

Re: Timber Frame & Straw Bale #7194 12/07/01 06:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Build it with Bales is pretty much the definitive guide for the owner builder for SB construction. i am building a SB/TF house as well. Another excellent resource is to attend a Bale Raising seminar to see first hand all the latest techniques. Please let me know how things are going with your project.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users