Rate Thread
Hand Hewing Beans #7197 01/11/01 08:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to get technical advice in this subject. My experience is sufficient to let me know that there is much I need to learn before I begin my next project. I have been asked to produce 5 - 60' roof timbers, 4 gunstock posts and a set of 40 tapered rafters. Tips about blade profiles of scoring and broadaxes, direction of swing, working from the top or bottom end of the log, layout techniques, hanedling large timbers, and any other revelant topics would be very helpful.
thank you,
John Fielding

Re: Hand Hewing Beans #7198 01/27/01 07:14 PM
Will Truax Offline
John--

A Broad Axe is a matter of personal preference, if you havn't found it all ready you will recognize it when you pick it up. Heft, seems to be the defining factor for each individual and all three of those all important curves must be present. For the rough work, any 3 lb'er for scoring and I, among others of note, like a 5 lb Jersey pattern for juggling, the extra bit width is useful and that small beard helps save wear on your helves.

For a job of the size you are considering or for any more than a stick or three, two man scoring is the only way to go. Find someone with imagination and with which you share a mutual trust (all joking aside teticular fortitude and self confidence are requisites) and with the log just above waist high you each work alternate sides of the scoring notches. The ax beats fall faster and most all bending over is eliminated. Scoring is more than twice as fast and wear & tear on your back is greatly reduced. You can either juggle from the ground or standing atop the log this should be done within an 1/8th of the line, the Broad Axe being a finishing tool.

The hewing station ( the knuckleboom setting the log pile just behind ) is a set of inclined planes, perhaps 10% and maybe 16' in length, at this incline 2 men and peaveys can roll most any log up to working height, though you may need to parbuckle those 60's.
up. Four of these is a good number, 2 close togeather for the short sticks, the rest spread out. They can be a simple crib of logs or you can join something more permanant, A 2' flat at the up end on which to roll the log/cant is sufficient, This sees alot of wear so replacable bunks for a long term construction are in order. From there a forklift is what the philisophers call "appropriate technology".

Let me know if I can answer specific questions.

Will

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Hand Hewing Beans #7199 01/29/01 01:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John. All of the above advice is good. If you haven't read anything on hand hewing you could purchase either one or both of Jack Sobon's books. He has at least one chapter on hand hewing. Good luck.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users