Rate Thread
wood species #7207 01/23/01 06:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I own a 160 acre parcel of forested property overlooking Whitefish Bay on Lake Superior upon which I wish to construct an octogonal timberframe cottage. Tree species are predominantly sugar maple, white birch with a scattering of yellow birch, red oak and black spruce.Most of the books, articles and timberframers I have studied up on all seem to refer to red oak as their hardwood of choice. A comparison of the characteristics of sugar maple and red oak shows them being fairly equal other than maple having a slightly higher shrinkage factor. My questions are: #1-Does anyone out there have knowledge of or experience framing with maple or an opinion as to the feasibility of using maple?
#2-If so, what are the pecularities that have to be addressed or observed?
#3-Could oak and maple be used together in the same frame?

#4-If so, in what combination ie ak beam-maple posts or
oak post-maple brace?

If anybody can help shed some light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.
the alternate e-mail address is marcinkowsk@hotmail.com.
STUMPED CANUCK

Re: wood species #7208 01/29/01 11:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the Spring 1999 copy of Joiners' Quarterly Number 37 there is a long list of responses to your question in the letters section. I could scan in the page and email it to you. You'll need to post your email address or contact me directly. Jim
PS. I didn't see your address before.

[This message has been edited by J Rogers (edited 01-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by J Rogers (edited 01-29-2001).]

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users