Rate Thread
Looking for tools (beetles) #7247 03/26/01 02:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am building a timber frame wood shop this spring and I am having a hard time finding beetles -- large wood mallets. Does anyone know of a source where I might find these or other timberframe tools?

Thanks

Re: Looking for tools (beetles) #7248 03/27/01 02:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I made my own. First I made the handle. Using a piece of red oak, planed 1 1/2" square I ran it across my bench top shaper table with a 3/4" round over bit, doing all four edges. I stopped rounding before the end to give it a square end. This works very well for a handle, mine is about 40-42" long. Then I took a block of softwood, (spruce or pine) 6"x8"x14" and rounded off all the edges, and ends with the same round over bit. Be sure your ends are cut square. Then I bored a hole 1 1/2" in diameter, threw the 8" way, but I've seen them the 6" way also. You insert the handle and slide the head down to the square end. This will prevent the head from flying off while swinging. Heads are made of softwood to not dent timbers, and make extra heads to take to jobs so if this head splits, and it will, you can replace it and continue to use it on your raising. I made another with a smaller head and shorter handle, for smaller jobs. I also made my own mallets for chisels, (I didn't want to pay $46 or more at tool store). Chisel mallet heads are hardwoods. Hope is helpful, if you need a picture and your email program can open it I'll send you one. Good luck Jim.

[This message has been edited by J Rogers (edited 03-27-2001).]

Re: Looking for tools (beetles) #7249 03/29/01 11:48 AM
Will Truax Offline
Randy,

As J suggests most folks make their own but there are some alternatives. I'm almost certain Japan Woodworker sells them (though I don't have a catalog at hand) & Baily's now sells an example www.bailys-online.com

Alot of framers have moved to or also use a deadblow sledge, available from your local Snap-on or Mac tool rep at a hefty price but Northern Tool & Equip sells a servicable but somewhat inferior (sand filled as opposed to shot & oil) chinese made knockoff for about $35 with shipping www.northerntool.com

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users