Rate Thread
Topping Off (?) ceremony #7293 06/15/01 12:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am having a barn raising next week and I understand it is a tradition to tack a pine bough to the top of the frame when it is completed and say a few appropriate words. I wondered if there was a particular poem or something that people use. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Randy Stukenberg
Byron, IL

p.s. For anyone interested, the Barn Raising is Sat., June 23 in N. IL. Everyone is welcome!

Re: Topping Off (?) ceremony #7294 06/15/01 06:17 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Dear Randy,

My understanding is that the person who has travelled furthest to the raising should be accorded the honour of attaching the ridge tree.

A few years back I was honoured to be asked to attach an eastern white pine sprig to the Jobe Lane barn which was raised in Bedford Massachussetts by Tom Musco of Royalston Oak Timber Frames. You can see this event on our website at :-http://www.kfhume.freeserve.co.uk/pages/timberframingpages/joblanepages/joblaneframe.htm

Please post pictures of your event so we can all enjoy it even if this from the comfort of an armchair.

Good Luck with your raising.

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Topping Off (?) ceremony #7295 06/16/01 02:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Check out http://userweb.nni.com/walnutcreek@mwci.net for progress on the barn.

Re: Topping Off (?) ceremony #7296 10/05/01 07:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Randy,

This is my first time to Timber Framers Guild and was wondering hoe the barn raising went? Did you ever find out if there is a poem? i would be interested in hearing your story.

Jeff
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Stukenberg:
I am having a barn raising next week and I understand it is a tradition to tack a pine bough to the top of the frame when it is completed and say a few appropriate words. I wondered if there was a particular poem or something that people use. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Randy Stukenberg
Byron, IL

p.s. For anyone interested, the Barn Raising is Sat., June 23 in N. IL. Everyone is welcome!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users