Rate Thread
Considerations for Sawing/Drying Timbers #7298 06/23/01 07:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am planing to build a new timber frame(or post and beam which is the correct term?) barn and house on my farm/ranch in a few years. I want to build using the timber frame method (preferably with pegs) due to the beauty and longetivity. My farm/ranch is located in the Arkansas Ozarks, near the Arkansas River. I have built numerous structurs using frame, pole, steel and or concrete construction (and helped a neighbor build a log home) but am new to timber frame. I am cuting the timbers myself and need some advice.

I have several types of trees available to work with including various oaks, ash, hickory, cedar, pine, locust among others. What types of wood are preferable? I have a large Cherry log that would make some nice timbers. Is it sutible (it would look nice) or should I keep it for furniture?

What sawing method will provide the best timbers? Will the best timber be from the center of the log, cut on either side, quater sawn (yeah, I'm Joking about quatersawn timbers) or how?

I understand these heavy timbers will take several years to Air Dry. Are there any specific things I need to do for best drying of these large timbers (I am used to typical 1 and 2 inch lumber)?

What is a good book for hobbiest timber framing with a good section on barns.

Thx for your time and responses. Ace

Re: Considerations for Sawing/Drying Timbers #7299 06/26/01 11:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ace
I believe that timber framing uses wooden pegs to join the timbers together.
Post and beam construction uses metal plates and metal bolts to join timbers.
But posts and beams are used in timber framing.
I'm sure if I'm incorrect the other readers of this forum will advise us.
Jim

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi
5136 Registered Users