Rate Thread
remilling timbers #7349 08/31/01 03:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After going through and cleaning up my batch of salvage beech timbers, I've got just a few that are moderately warped, and one twisted.

I was wondering if it is practical to attempt to straighten out a bowed timber by placing a heavy weight on the bowed side up. Surely it will sag back in, but I suspect it will recoil in time and/or perhaps damage the fibers and possibly weaken the fibers.

Now the twisted one I fear is going to become firewood. I can't see you can possibly cut straight tenons on the ends that are off 10+ degrees.

I suppose there is a milling/planing machine that could remove material from both sides to even it up. What would I expect to pay to have timbers re-milled, anyone? I will check out the resources section but I suspect there is no place close to me (SW Ohio), and it will cost prohibitive to transport and have this done for only a few pieces.

Any advice in general (even if you think I'm wasting my time!) on working with imperfections with reclaimed timbers - Im all ears.

Cheers, yall have a good long weekend.

Greg

Re: remilling timbers #7350 09/10/01 12:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've remilled old timbers before. I use a woodmizer bandsaw mill. If you want to find a mill in your area call woodmizer and select the 'find a sawyer' option. They will tell you of sawyers in your area. They can be reached at (800) 525-8100 or woodmizer.com Most mills are 21' long. If you have timbers that are longer you might have a problem. As to whether or not you can straighten a bowed beam or not or whether it's worth it or not, I'm sorry I can't help you with that. Good Luck, Jim

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users