Rate Thread
gin poles #7372 10/18/01 05:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After reading Richard Babcock's "Old Barns in the New World" ,in which the writer tells of using a gin pole, I've tried to get more info on making one and rigging it. Can anyone help? I plan on dismantling and moving an old barn with limited help. Thanks

Re: gin poles #7373 10/18/01 10:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I recently met Mr. Babcock at the eastern conference of the timber framers guild. There was also another man there holding a seminar on rigging with a gin pole. Well each learned a different way from others and each had a different view as to which was correct. So there are several different ways to rig a gin pole. There are articles and pictures of how to rig one in a book I have. Send me your email address and I can forward you some pictures I have on file. Good Luck, Jim

Re: gin poles #7374 10/19/01 12:06 AM
J
jekbear Offline
J
Geoff - If you are actually thinking of using a gin pole, I would suggest a tripod as a potential alternative. A friend and I recently raised a 4 bent barn with 24'widex20'high bents using a tripod made from 4x4x16' poles as it seemed simpler, more stable and easier to rig than using a gin pole. If you're interested, send me an e-mail and I can get you some pics. jekbear

Re: gin poles #7375 12/22/01 02:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Geof: Just a note I believe that I am the gentleman at the Eastern Conference at Montebello that is being referred to above, but then maybe not. Anyway I have worked with my style of Gin Pole erecting traditional frameworks (bents) during yearly raisings we staged at Upper Canada Village each Labour Day for quite a number of years. I used a (one) vertical pole stayed with 1" manila ropes that could be adjusted to lift or lower the Gin to any angle to further the reach etc. Maybe we can converse if you would like more information
The Northern Hewer

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users