Print Thread
Rate Thread
What framing chisels to start with? #7382 10/27/01 01:21 AM
M
Mark B. Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello to the group,
I am new and this is my first post. I searched the archives looking for the answer to this post but didnt find anything, if I missed it I appologize for asking a question that has already been answered.
My wife and I have been in the building industry (conventional stick framing) for 15 years working together every day pounding nails and dealing with customers. We are both 35 and have decided to "retire" and have purchased 115 acres of land in WV and will begin construction of a home there next summer. We are planning on timberframing with timber cut from our property with our bandsaw mill. We have purchased and been reading many of the more popular timberframing books/manuals and are looking at purchasing some more chisels. We have a couple of framing chisels (2") that were given to me by my grandfather. They were very rusty and poorly cared for but after about 5 hours of work each they are completely cleaned and to a mirror finish and extremely sharp. Now I only have to turn some handles.
Given these two chisels we were considering buying a new framing chisel (either 1 1/2" or 2") and perhaps a slick. For the most part all I have found is Sorby and Barr of which I am sure you are all familiar. To sum all this up I am wondering if any of you could give me some suggestions on what chisels to start we should have in our box to enter into this process. I am unsure if the slick is considered a neccesary item to begin, and for instance with the sorby chisels the beveled or non beveled? Other than dovetails does the beveled have any other benefits? Some genereal info about these two tools would be greatly appreceiated before I plunk down the 130.00 for the Barr slick and 90.00 for a framer. (as you can see we are leaning towards the Barr) Thank you all for any help.

Re: What framing chisels to start with? #7383 10/27/01 04:23 AM
J
jekbear Offline
J
I am a beginner at timber framing. I've just finished framing a 24'x36' barn. Before I started it, I owned a a Sorby 1-1/2" framing chisel that I had liked and used a lot. The barn was framed using 2" tenons so at a friend's recommendation, I bought a Quarton 2" framing chisel. I had never owned a tool as sweet as this before. It sharpens easily and holds its edge for a long time. After testing the framing chisel, I bought Barr's fatboy slick which performs just as well. I also own an antique square-cut slick and find the two profiles to be complimentary. The fatboy is better at cleaning up mortise walls, but to finish up the bottom, the square-cut works better. I think a slick is a necessity. Midway through the project, I was given a Quarton swan-neck, which, although not a necessity, makes cleaning up mortise bottoms a real pleasure. At this time, I'd have to say Barr's tools are the best I've ever used. jekbear

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users