Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
worth buying? #7466 02/20/02 02:42 PM
L
longbeard Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have found a source for recycled rough sawn ,d.f. 10X12 timbers in 40 foot lengths. I do not as of now have a specific design but wish to build a small timber frame home/cabin. Maybe 24X40? I have indoor storage available. Would these timbers be a good resource to have stashed for future project? I don't want to buy,store and then not be able to use. Opinions? Also the seller is asking $1 per b.f. Is that reasonable? Thanks for any input.

Re: worth buying? #7467 02/21/02 04:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by longbeard:
I have found a source for recycled rough sawn ,d.f. 10X12 timbers in 40 foot lengths. I do not as of now have a specific design but wish to build a small timber frame home/cabin. Maybe 24X40? I have indoor storage available. Would these timbers be a good resource to have stashed for future project? I don't want to buy,store and then
not be able to use. Opinions? Also the seller is asking $1 per b.f. Is that reasonable? Thanks for any input.

Are you planning on cutting this eventual small home/cabin 24x40 frame, or paying someone to do it? Most timberframers don't want to screw with recyled/dry timbers, in my experience.

I think the price is ok, depending on quality of the timbers. What species by the way? I think the fact they are 40 footers makes them more attractive, those lengths would be hard(?) to get these days from a mill, I would think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I recently purchased a bunch of 150 year old beech timbers I'm planning on using for a small tool shed frame, from Jack Sobon's book. I've worked with the timbers a bit on some waste pieces, and it is definitely more chisel work being so hard/dry.

Good luck,

Greg

Re: worth buying? #7468 02/21/02 04:48 PM
L
longbeard Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Greg E, thanks for your response. The timbers are fir but I don't know if it is douglas or hemlock or what. I do intend to work the timbers myself. The seller said he had sixty footers that were sold already. Is it unusual to find big timbers 10x12 that are so long?

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users