Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Scantlings #7529 03/12/99 08:37 AM
E
Ed Levin Offline
E
The building code on Mr. Keir's island guards explicitly against extremes of non-redundancy which can lead to danger of "disproportionate collapse" where disastrous results stem from the failure of a single structural component. An architect of my acquaintance keeps a clipping from the Times of London on his desk depicting a lady who closed the front door of her medieval house a bit too emphatically, so that when the dust cleared afterward, said door was the only part of the building left standing.

To give equal time to gravity and stability, readers may also want to consider Mr. Salvadori's Why buildings Stand Up, Norton, 1994, ISBN: 0393306763, and its English cousin, Structures : Or, Why Things Don't Fall Down by J. E. Gordon, Da Capo, 1988, ISBN: 0306801515.

This writer is reminded of a seminar at a past Quality Building Conference where a Boston rehabber rose to speak in praise of redundancy in old townhouses, since when know nothing new residents did stuff like cut out attic collar beams that were in their way, the buildings continued to stand, a feature whose absence in future highly optimized construction might prove fatal to such careless inhabitants. To which the engineer on the panel (not the guy you're thinking of) replied "People who do that deserve to die." An unusual sentiment, I thought, for one whose professional charge is public safety.

Re: Scantlings #7530 03/21/99 08:35 PM
D
Doug Ford Offline OP
OP Offline
D
There is some great information to my question from some very knowledgeable craftsmen. I know we will have to have proper designs and attention to code, but here in the land of the Douglas Fir I have reason to believe the timber companies may sponsor this project. With the facade at 70 feet,and length at 140 feet, and two rows of interior posts running the length, for estimating purposes and a preliminary approach to the timber mills, what dimentions of timber should I be requesting?

The Convention at our little ski village in Whistler is coming up. If you are in Vancouver, let me know.

Wood butchers with stories are always welcome.

Contact me at <butch48@rocketmail.com>

or 604 732 6019.

Thanks, Doug Ford

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users