Print Thread
Rate Thread
From Green to Finish #7591 11/10/99 12:10 AM
F
Fred Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I would like to join the timbers for a modest sized 3200 sf house myself in my
garage/shop. I expect this to take some time since I also have another job. Here in East
Tennessee, coming up with trees on stump and finding a portable mill and operator to
machine timbers is not a problem. The plan, is to slowly acquire timbers, store them and
work them. When finished, I could then assemble them over a shorter period of time
using more manpower. Is this a workable plan since the moisture content will surely
change after a bent has been joined? What would it take to make this workable?

Re: From Green to Finish #7592 11/10/99 02:19 PM
G
Grigg Mullen Offline
G
Your plan is workable. However, the largest problem you will have is with movement of the timber as it dries. I would suggest that you mill your timber slightly oversize, and then let it set for a year or so while it moves. This isn't long enough for something like an 8" x 8" timber to air dry to equilibrium, but some of the movement should be out of the way.

Once you start cutting joints, I would recommend some form of "square rule" joinery to account for the now out of square timber. Jack Sobon's two books probably give the most easily understandably description of the process.

From personal experience, I would suggest that you stay from tulip poplar. It twists and checks like crazy while drying. Oak is fine, and white pine appears to be even more forgiving.

Good Luck, and enjoy yourself!

[This message has been edited by Grigg Mullen (edited 11-10-99).]

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users