Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Timber frame addition to existing timber frame structure #7626 04/04/00 07:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have posted this question in another forum, but this forum looked more active, so here goes:

As an admitted novice, I hope to add a small timberframe porch/shed extension to off the back of an existing timberframe ell on my home, circa 1750 (the ell is on a dry stone foundation, as will be the addition). I have desinged the shed adition as a free standing structure, connected to the ell only by side sheathing and rafters. Here's my question -- should I instead connect the frame of the new shed frame to the existing ell frame? I hesitate to do so because I do not want to damage the integrity of the existing frame by adding joinery which was not originally contemplated. Also, although I can easily connect the old and new posts with additional girts, how should I effectively connect the old sills with the new sills so that both structures are essentially one?

Any advice would be greatly appeciated.

Many thanks - Sam Davenport

Re: Timber frame addition to existing timber frame structure #7627 04/13/00 02:20 PM
G
Grigg Mullen Offline
G
If you are comfortable planning the addition as a separate structure, I believe I would continue down that path. Why worry about affecting the existing frame when it is possible to do your addition as an independent structure?

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users