Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Air drying timbers #7634 05/01/00 03:39 PM
B
Bill Delphenich Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have 5 wooded acres in Maine that I want to build on in 5 years or so. Since I have some time, I would like to dry the timbers. Most of the trees on the property aren't big enough for a frame, but I should be able to use some of them and purchase the rest.

What is the best way to dry these timbers? Should I have them cut to size now and then dryed or what? Is there any way to lay them on the property under cover and let them dry naturally? Also, I can go ahead and purchase the other timbers and dry them as well, if that is the best way to go. (I assume that no rational timber framer is going to want my logs sitting around at his place for that length of time.)

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Air drying timbers #7635 05/02/00 11:36 AM
M
Mark L Surnoskie Offline
M
The best way to start is to pile timbers well off the ground (8" or more)on dry bunks, preferably over gravel or at least cut down the vegetation. Use lots of space between the timbers for air circulation. Use dry crossers so the wood won't stain or rot, I would use 2" at least. If you pile it out of direct sun or put a cover over the top row,(don't forget to allow space for air circulation) you shouldn't have too much problem with twisting etc. I would endseal the timbers as well (wax emulsion, sizing, etc). This will slow checking and the drying process. Wood drys from the end first because of the cell structure. How long the timbers need to dry depends on the species. Oak will take much longer than pine. Dry timbers are harder to work, but when you put it together you will have less movement and dryer is stronger. Hope this helps.

Mark Surnoskie

Mark Surnoskie
TIMBERWOLFTREE
Pembroke, ON
K8A 7P4
613-732-0233
Re: Air drying timbers #7636 05/02/00 12:07 PM
B
Bill Delphenich Offline OP
OP Offline
B
OK, great.

Are you thinking these timbers are cut to size first? Obviously it would cut down on the drying time if they were, as well as being easier to handle.

Thanks.

Re: Air drying timbers #7637 05/02/00 02:01 PM
G
Grigg Mullen Offline
G
Excellent advice from Mark. The timbers should be cut to size, but you will probably want to mill them oversize to allow for shrinkage. How much depends on the species. Bruce Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" is of great help in estimating the amount of shrinkage.
It would also be a good idea to mill a few extra timbers. Some of the timbers will twist or check enough during drying that you will want to reject them as framing timbers.

Re: Air drying timbers #7638 05/05/00 11:46 PM
M
Mark L Surnoskie Offline
M
Sorry for the misunderstanding. When you cut down a tree and you cut it to length it is a log, or possibly a post or pole. Logs are cut into timbers or lumber. Hope this explanation clears that up.

Mark Surnoskie
TIMBERWOLFTREE
Pembroke, ON
K8A 7P4
613-732-0233

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi
5136 Registered Users