Rate Thread
Window Framing #7649 08/10/00 04:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Found some rotten logs and I'm thinking the best way to repair the area is to install a picture window approx. 4' high x 10' wide. Any books out there to cover this subject from step 1 to finish?

Re: Window Framing #7650 08/17/00 08:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I assume that you are referring to logs in the wall of a log building. A 10 foot wide opening might or might not be significant. It depends on what exists above the opening. Do you carry any upper floor or roof loads down to this location? If so, you might need to add a new header to carry them across the opening. If not, the top log of the wall might span the opening easy enough. Of course, you want to be sure that you allow for additional shrinkage and settling of the wall when sizing and fitting the glass in the opening.

I don't think that you will find any books that address your particular situation. An engineer would use a variety of resources, including his/her professional experience and judgement, to determine what you need. I believe that for $100 or so, you should be able to find an engineer who can evaluate your situation, do a few load calculations and give you a reasonable solution.

Re: Window Framing #7651 10/26/01 10:20 PM
J
JBetterly Offline
J
Hey,

I have rotten logs all over my farm!

Can I have a few picture windows too?

Actually, I was thinking if the load seemed too much fro the "glass", one could frame in the opening with partial milled logs to resemble mullion bars.

Say the finished window was 3 over 3 panes.

Is that as much work as I am starting to think it? jdb

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users