Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Post Shrinkage and Tenons #7687 02/25/01 05:00 PM
J
Jeff Wharton Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am putting together a small Lodgepole Pine frame this sumer. Timbers are outside covered and stickered since last June.
Wondering if I should be trimming all the thru tenons back a 1/4" where they
would be flush with the outside of a member where the panels are installed ?
I am concerned about the Posts shrinking, leaving the tenons ends protruding.
Also, I have purchased accurately turned Oak dowells that fit very tight in the bored holes. Should I be shaping these with long slow taper, or with edges(octagon), or just use a bit of bees wax, or just drive those suckers home?????
Thanks, Jeff

Re: Post Shrinkage and Tenons #7688 02/26/01 09:28 PM
Will Truax Offline
Jeff,

You have your wits about you..., yes through tenons and even pegs should be trimmed or driven (pegs) so they are less than flush.Though I will sometimes allow a through tenon or a plate to flow on out into the enclosure system. Traditionally Timberframing was and some would say is properly "green" woodworking.

The same thinking should be carried on into your joinery, extra mortise depth so tenons will not bottom out as the frame seasons, an extra moment paring at a knot so it will not stand proud and force a joint apart, etc. etc.

Your trunnels should be tapered if you are draw boring, and you should be (in my humble opinion) if joining green timber.

Yours is the best case senario for going green, winter cut timber stuck up for a yr (its amazing how much winter and a yr will drop the moisture content in softwoods)locally milled timber in the teens %age range. Good on you

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users