Rate Thread
Foam Foundation Forms #7713 05/07/01 01:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am designing our first Timberframe home and am considering using foam foundation forms instead of traditional foundation forms. I do not want to have to insulate the timberframe deck over a finished basement and so our code requires insulation of basement walls. The foam foundation panals do this. Can you recommend using these forms and would you have a manufacturer recommendation. Thank you.

Re: Foam Foundation Forms #7714 05/17/01 01:24 AM
G
Grigg Mullen Offline
G
We just finished our own house using a brand of these forms. The results were quite satisfying. Be sure when setting the forms that they are adequately braced to avoid blowouts during the pour.
We used a brand that was available at the local construction materials outlet. I would suggest that you see what's available in your area. There are a number of brands available, all appearing reasonably similar to me. I expect that skilled installation is at least as important as the particular brand.
The one surprise was that we had to sheetrock the inside of the wall for fire resistance. The forms are flammable, and, uncovered, could create a dangerous situation an a basement.

Re: Foam Foundation Forms #7715 05/23/01 03:33 AM
B
Buster Offline
B
Question for Grigg and others:
What type (and width) of foam foundation forms can be used with a timber frame ? I did not believe that the width of the types of foam forms would be enough to carry the point loads of the posts. I would consider then as designed to carry evenly distributed loads as in conventional framing. Do you need to make any special (reinforced concrete) pillars under the posts to carry the load of the major posts ? Any information will be greatly apperciated. This is a subject that I have thought about and have not yet answered.
Thank you.

Re: Foam Foundation Forms #7716 05/24/01 08:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Insulated concrete forms (ICFs) are attactive for a number of reasons, but present problems with timber frames. The biggest problem is the lack of structural support at the outer and inner edges where the foam is. The concrete core may only be 4 inches wide in an 8 inch block. Using a 10 inch block will help. One of the problems we have encountered most often is the walls must be well braced before pouring or they will bow and then dry that way, never to be moved again. The thickness of the various components setting on or attached to the ICF's must be taken into account. For example, a 4 inch brick ledge will let you apply a masonary skirt up to a 5 1/8" urethane wall panel, and the floor system can be extended close to the outer edge of the concrete core, which will put your timber posts over the strong core of the ICF's. LVL blocking can then be used to transfer the weight of the frame through the floor system, or you could set a timber sill and post up from there.
I think an ICF wall with timber trusses and SIPS on the roof would be a great home - practical, warm and bulletproof.
Polysteel and BluMax are the two I have experience with, and there are some new companies coming out with new systems at every show I go to. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Brian O'Shea

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Littauer:
I am designing our first Timberframe home and am considering using foam foundation forms instead of traditional foundation forms. I do not want to have to insulate the timberframe deck over a finished basement and so our code requires insulation of basement walls. The foam foundation panals do this. Can you recommend using these forms and would you have a manufacturer recommendation. Thank you.

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users