Rate Thread
Timber frame consulting in Finland #7760 06/29/01 10:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I represent a medium-sized Finnish panel house manufacturer. Though we have a long tradition of wood building in Finland, timber framing is not familiar to us. Now, we are interested in bringing timber frame building system in Finland. We have already studied this topic for a few months with the timber frame books by Tedd Benson. Problem is, that our building codes are not quite familiar with the structural design of the timber frame. Are there any computer programs in USA (or somewhere), that calculates the strength of the timber frame. We know some German programs, that draw the members of the frame, but dont't calculate them. If a suitable computer program exists, that may still demand modification according Finnish building codes.

What are the best books available considering timber frame engineering? Are there any professional computer programs for timber frame calculation? Is there somebody, who likes to consult us? We could later (August-September) visit some timber frame companies in USA to learn more about timber framing.

Beforehand thanking for the answers

Esa Kankaala

Re: Timber frame consulting in Finland #7761 06/30/01 08:20 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Dear Esa,

You can get help closer to home in England where I design and build timber frames.

Check out the design section of our website at http://www.clik.to/WorldofWood and then email me with you specific requirement.

Send me a ticket and I will come visit you in Finland.

Regards

Ken Hume

[This message has been edited by K F Hume (edited 07-02-2001).]

Looking back to see the way ahead !

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users