Rate Thread
Daylight basement #7762 07/03/01 12:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Trying to design a timber frame to fit over a walk-out basement. Basement is 28x44, 8" block walls, concrete subfloor. Floor joists & subflooring for first floor is already in place. Any suggestions?

Re: Daylight basement #7763 07/05/01 01:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Willow
Recently I was at a house addition raising. The foundation and floor joist with sub floor were already in place similar to what you have described.
“Trying to design a timber frame to fit over a walk-out basement. Basement is 28x44, 8" block walls, concrete sub floor. Floor joists & sub flooring for first floor is already in place. Any suggestions?”
What this company did to erect the frame on this existing situation was to cut away the plywood floor the spots where the posts were going to be. Then we notched the posts to fit each spot so that the posts actually set down directly onto the foundation capping pressure treated 2x material. This, I was told, was to give good support to the frame.
In your case things maybe different. Sometimes foundations need to be built ‘for’ a timber frame building. That is bigger at the points where the posts are sitting. This is due to the concentration of the weight of the building in these areas. So be careful and have someone who know about designing and/or engineering check your plans. Or have a planning discussion with your building inspector. He should be able to tell you if your foundation is adequate to support a timber frame. You might have to add concrete into the foundation blocks at the post location or something like that. Good luck and I hope this has helped. Jim

Re: Daylight basement #7764 07/10/01 03:44 AM
Will Truax Offline
8" is insufficient to begin with and if supporting a timberframe with a block foundation you would normally insert rerod through the cores and pour them solid under each post location.

If I were in your situation I would design the frame to be smaller than the floorframe by the thickness of your chosen enclosure this would provide a ledger for your enclosure system but more importantly by pushing the frame in part inboard of the blocks this would allow you to support it on pilasters retrofited into place.

Ask after and bring in highly qualified help

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users