Rate Thread
About using in situ material #7897 04/28/00 07:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Starting in June 99 I cleared about 1.5 acres of mostly red oak to build a house. I was able to store about 70 red and white oak logs of sizes varying from 8-18" in dia and 12-20 ' in length. I would like to build a timberframe barn from this material. Questions:
1. where can I get a structure designed using no longer than say 12' members?
2. how does one comprehend the twisting etc that will occur in these timbers once milled from the logs? I bet with a portable saw mill I can cut most timbers in a weekend but they may not be used for a year !
3. should I cut the timbers all at once, realizing it will take a significant amount of time to then cut the joints, or should I do it one bent, for example, at a time?

It would be a shame to see this material go to waste. There are plenty more trees from which I can render framing material, and I am gung ho!

Would appreciate any advice.

Re: About using in situ material #7898 04/30/00 08:44 AM
M
Mark L Surnoskie Offline
M
Can't help with the first question but may have some insight into the other two. Oak takes a long time to dry. I would suggest you have it all sawn at the same time (don't want to annoy the sawyer by having to come back several times. You may need him in the future!)then pile them well off the ground (8" or more) preferably over gravel or little vegetation and with lots of space between the timbers for air circulation. Use dry crossers so the wood won't stain or rot, I would use 2" at least. If you pile it out of direct sun or put a cover over the top row, you shouldn't have too much problem with twisting etc. I would endseal the timbers as well (wax emulsion). This will slow the drying process. Also use endseal after you cut your joinery to avoid checking, especially any end grain, even in the mortises.
Good Luck.
Mark Surnoskie

Mark Surnoskie
TIMBERWOLFTREE
Pembroke, ON
K8A 7P4
613-732-0233

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users