Print Thread
Rate Thread
Corrosion of fasteners #7923 05/11/01 07:47 PM
C
Cameron Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Dear All,

I am trying to get to the bottom of the question of corrosion of fasteners in an unseasoned timber frame (oak) and the following years after the timber has dried in situ. Standard practice is to use stainless steel fastners where possible (nails, bolts & screws) in both structural and non structural situations. This is expensive and I would like to explore the use galvanised mild steel further. I have no doubts that the zinc coating protects the fastner in the short term but is this protective layer broken down quickly, ie before the timber has dried or is it likely to remain intact well into the buildings life (50-300 years)?
Your opinion and any further information would be very much appreciated, particularly any reference to research.

kind regards,

Cameron Scott

Re: Corrosion of fasteners #7924 05/12/01 07:42 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Cameron,

Galvanising is generally considered to be a limited life process. When a break ocurs in the zinc coating, galvanic protection starts and continues till all the zinc is used up. Corrosion of the steel element then follows and will be rapid. Zinc can be applied in a number of ways to steel the most common being sheridising (electrolytic deposition)which gives a fairly thin coating and is generaly used on small nuts, bolts and hinges. Hot dip galvanising is a much better process since generally the part to be coated is given an acid bath to remove all corrosion and provide a good bonding surface prior to hot dipping. The downside with this is that the coating thickness is uneven and can be a problem on screw threads where big globs would make assembly difficult.

Turning to stainless steel there is a popular misconception that this does not rust or corrode. The satisfactory performance of stainless steel is very much dependent on whether it can be quench annealed and also its exposure in particular to chlorides and sulphides in a wet environment e.g. near the coast or near a coal fired power station. If this happens then stress corrosion cracking can commence on stressed components and these will then be susceptible to fatique failure over time. Failure will be instananeous and if highly stressed could be catastrophic.

Oak is high in tannic acid and even though the timber dries it is really only the water that evaporates leaving all salts and non volatile compounds behind. Some of these are capable of being re hydrated when surface moisture is present. This kind of situation happens more often than you might realise even indoors especially in the roof where for example a prolonged cold period will result in moisture condensation when there is a swing to warmer milder waether.

The old fashioned way to combine metal and oak was to use wrought iron which like cast iron tends to rust and form a protective oxide skin which slows down further corrosion. Kept reasonable dry this will last for centuries as per hand wrought lathe nails.

The best approach is, where possible, not to place a heavy reliance on brackets and bolts and instead try and design your joinery to use all wooden components. If you cannot do this then it is most likely that the design is either too esoteric, cheap or built on a grand scale like a cathedral or bridge which really is now the realms of the professional engineer.

I hope that this helps.

p.s. I am now the owner of your bisaigue !

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Corrosion of fasteners #7925 07/09/01 01:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just a comment regarding steel in oak. If oak breaks down steel as badly as believed, why is my saw chain ruined by nails and other steel objects in the middle of a 150 year old tree?

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users