Rate Thread
japanese style timberframing #7949 10/09/01 04:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am embarking on building a very small timberframe garage for beloved motorcycles, and want to make it with an Oriental style (similar look to Shinto shrines). I have heard that some timberframers have taken an interest in this in US in last decades- can anyone suggest where I'd find any photos/plans/ideas about these? I have seen many books on Japanese architecture, but I'd much appreciate seeing what others have done here.

Re: japanese style timberframing #7950 10/18/01 04:05 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
There are a few books available on Japanese timberframing, but the only one of much use to you is the translation of the Nakahara book, "Japanese Joinery" (Hartey and Marks, pub). It has a limited section on Japanese roof framing as well as the Japanese method of doing Western (German, I think) truss roof framing. If you are experienced at roof framing and are really keen, you may be able to derive enough info from this book to build a basic Japanese roof. Otherwise, you are going to have to get some help, particularly if you are interested in an uplift at the roof edge w. curved hip rafters and the rest. There are many books available in Japanese on the intricacies of roof layout, but if you don't read Japanese you are going to have a next-to-impossible time trying to decipher it.
There are few people in N. America familiar with real Japanese roof construction, and only a few companies that do authentic work in this regard that I'm aware of. You can try Eastwind Inc, Joinery Structures, of Horiguchi-san, all based in N. California. There are two Japanese carpenters in Washington state as well. I am based in B.C, Canada, and I could be of assistance to you if you are stuck with something in particular. I lived in Japan and studied timberframing there, and brought back several roofing texts with me. Even though i read Japanese, it requires a LOT of work to figure out what the heck is going on in some of the schematics, and I've been studying the use of their framing square for the past 2 years (with no end in sight!).
Keep in mind that the Jpanese roof does not stand alone but needs to be totally integrated into the design of the wall framing, particularly in regards to the layout of the plate.
I hope this helps you out. Good luck!

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: japanese style timberframing #7951 10/18/01 06:44 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Dear Jesse,

Check out "The Genius of Japanese Carpentry" - an account of a temple's construction by S. Azby Brown.
Published by Kodansha International.
ISBN 0-87011-897-8
Price $27.00

All the basic are included therein including tools, designs, joints, custom & practice. Its written in English by an American who worked for a Japanese temple builder.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: japanese style timberframing #7952 10/19/01 03:15 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
In regards to the last post mentioning the Azby Brown book, it IS excellent, but the subject of that book is the construction of a very important temple. The framing detailing given is specific to that and is far more elaborate than what would be typical for a smaller garage as you are planning to build. Unless you are intending to use the finest quality wood available and are designing with a 1000 yr. lifespan in mind, the structural and design rationale used for a temple would be overkill, IMO. The book also lists no design values for timbers, does not discuss the all-important 'kiwari', or wood proportioning, and omits quite a bit ofthe joinery more typically found in residences and smaller structures in general. Still, it is an excellent read on the philosophy, design, and methods of Japanese temple carpentry and I would highly recommend it, given the caveats above.
The same publisher, Kodansha, also has the titles "What is Japanese Architecture?" and "The Inner Harmony of the Japanese House", both of which are excellent references as well. There are a very few other books in English on Japanese timberframing, but still the most useful, I think, to your needs is the Nakahara book as I mentioned in the first post.

Re: japanese style timberframing #7953 10/19/01 03:25 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
And there's one other book you may wish to considr, and that is "The Measure and Construction of the Jaapnese House" by Heinrich Engel. It has a lot of very useful information, and great illustrations, but not much detail as far as roof structure goes.
Good luck to you!

Re: japanese style timberframing #7954 10/19/01 03:26 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
And there's one other book you may wish to considr, and that is "The Measure and Construction of the Japanese House" by Heinrich Engel (try Summerbeam Books). It has a lot of very useful information, and great illustrations, but not much detail as far as roof structure goes, and little on joinery.
Good luck to you!

Re: japanese style timberframing #7955 10/19/01 04:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Hall:
And there's one other book you may wish to considr, and that is "The Measure and Construction of the Japanese House" by Heinrich Engel (try Summerbeam Books). It has a lot of very useful information, and great illustrations, but not much detail as far as roof structure goes, and little on joinery.
Good luck to you!

Thanks a lot, to both of you- That gives me a great start to researching/ exploring how to go about this. As I mentioned before, this a pretty small structure but I am aiming to build it with the feel and quality of a shrine. I'll follow up on your suggestions!

Re: japanese style timberframing #7956 11/14/01 02:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try this: "Measure and Construction of the Japanese House", Heino Engel, Tuttle Pub.
ISBN: 0-8048-1492-9. Its in English but I picked it up in Tokyo this summer. Good luck.

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users