Rate Thread
Hand Hewing Beams #7991 01/11/01 08:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I need information about techniques for obtaining a quality product in hand hewing beams directly from the log. I have some experience in this field which makes me realize that there is much more I need to know before I begin my next project. I have been asked to produce 5 - 60' long roof timbers, 4 gunstock posts, and a set of 40 tapered rafters. Information regarding scoring and broadaxes, direction of swing, working from top or bottom of tree, layout tips, handeling timbers, or any other advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
John Fielding

Re: Hand Hewing Beams #7992 01/11/01 03:05 PM
R
Rudy R Christian Offline
R
John,

My first bit of advice is to buy shin gaurds!

Next I would contact David Dauerty at tmbrframe@aol.com. Dave always has a very full schedule, but if you can contract him to work on site for a week or two on your project, it will be the best educational investment you will ever make. He can teach you sharpening, safety, laying out a timber correctly in the log, safety, hewing vs. grain orientation, safety and much much more.

Good luck and work safely!

Rudy R. Christian

Re: Hand Hewing Beams #7993 12/22/01 02:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello John:
I ran across your post on "Timber Hewing" techniques a while back. If you are still interested and need some advice and help send me an Email I am sure that I can give you the help you need to produce a good finished surface. Sorry to have been so long replying,
the Northern Hewer

Re: Hand Hewing Beams #7994 12/22/01 04:11 AM
J
John Milburn Offline
J
John, I don't know how much experence you have, but if your new a this in Jack Sobon's book Build a Classic Timber-Framed House, there is a chapter on hewing. I also touches on broad axes,hewing variations, adzing, and layout. Good luck, John.

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users