Rate Thread
Warped barn - where to start? #8068 06/12/00 01:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Newbie questions - I am just starting to learn TF lingo so forgive bumbling...

Barn built in 1852 has a few issues, a bend of aprox 16-18 inches about 1/3 in from the end (as in the foundation has shfited that much). 8 bents. 50' wide by 90' long, aprox. 24' to peak. Doors at each end slide through slotted oak timbers aprox. 16" in diameter. North side was stick framed in the last 30 years or so. Some (expletive deleted) Previous Owner removed the sill and cast all else (including floor joists) into cement. Original foundation is field stone (granite) and has moved (is moving) in area of bend (north wall about ready to pop off in a few spots). Most recent owner had cement piers and new posts put in bottom, new floor aloung north side (cut to fit the bends in foundation) and iron braces lagged in to failing mortises. Roof is fair and needs replacing soon.

I think I need professional help (my wife keeps telling me that) to determine the best course of action. The barn is connected to the workshop which is connected to the house/house/house (237 feet end to end). I have been working on drainage and grading and am ready to throw up some blue tarps to minimize leaking (not too bad but some definite areas). I have lots of ideas but little practical experience with bent buildings. Any suggestions?

Re: Warped barn - where to start? #8069 06/12/00 03:49 PM
R
Rudy R Christian Offline
R
Andy,

Your wife is right. Actually you already know that this job is too big to handle alone. There are a lot of folks out there who have experience in straightening old frames. Unfortunately, you predecessor has done a really good job of doing the wrong things. It's likely you will need to crib up the barn, remove the concrete, excavate the bank (sounds like a bank barn) and pull the frame back straight.

If you go to www.planexus.com you will see some drawings showing one procedure for doing just that. It's in the set of pictures of the Lewis Barn.

Where is the barn/house? If you're down East, it shouldn't be that hard to find help. Of course finding someone who isn't booked up for the next year or so, is another problem.

Good luck and work safe.

Re: Warped barn - where to start? #8070 06/12/00 04:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the reply. yeah - I know this one is more then I can handle alone. The barn et al is in Lyndeborough, NH (roughly between Keene and Nashua). Built on the side of a hill with the north side (long) being the most abused. Lower side (gravelled last summer) is big enough to pull a tractor in to and ramps up to about 6 to 8 feet clearance along back wall.

My plan had indeed been to crib and reset the stone, chipping out concrete and placing a granite capstone. 'Thought was to allow the structure to work its' way back to relative straightness once side pressure was removed. I'll check out that website and hope to get to a basic timber course soon.

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users