reclaimed timbers, time critical #8092 06/25/01 03:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello,

I have a contact/source of some potentially real nice hand hewn beams in SE Indiana, a chuch which is supposed to date back to 1860s. The joinery looks primitive at best, but the timbers are in real good shape - the plates look to run 30 to 40 feet continuous.

The building is intact, and is scheduled to be demolished mid July 2001. I am trying to arrange a reasonable price and plan with the local fire department (who is doing the demolition) to salvage these beams, for my own use, preferably.

I urgently need some local expertise (IN, OH, KY) to advise me in the species identication, usability, and demolition required to save these beams.

Thanks in advance, time is of the essence!

Cheers,
Greg

Re: reclaimed timbers, time critical #8093 06/26/01 11:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Greg E
You could try contacting The Traditional Timberframing Research and Advisory Group (TTRAG) through the timber framer guild home page (link?). And see if there is a member near you. Or if a member would like to document this structure before it's dismantled. They might have some advice for you. Good luck, Jim

Re: reclaimed timbers, time critical #8094 08/11/01 11:24 PM
R
Ralph&Sunni Offline
R
Hello, I dismantel old structures like the church mentioned. I recently finished an 1860 seedmill, originally a flour mill, in Amo, Indiana. Its the middle of Indiana. Do you need help dismanateling, is the job done? I salvage beams and timbers also, and need a expert to help define species also, I think I have cedar, maple, walnut, but not sure, did you find an expert? please respond. Ralph

Re: reclaimed timbers, time critical #8095 08/13/01 10:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ralph,
The building was taken down/demolished in July with a CAT 320L excavator. Unfortunately I was unable to find and/or afford someone in time to help properly dismantle and document the structure ;-(

The good news is by my getting involved we were able to salvage *many* of the old beams. Mostly grabbed ~ 8x8s 20 foot or so long. Very straight.

Also pulled some 12x12 30+ foot sills out of there. They are heavily notched, however and would likely need to be remilled.

Based on the geography, some local TF expertise, and finding a few strips of bark, we are 95% sure it is/was Beech. Oddly enough, I found it has a beautiful red hue to it when cleaned up.

If you are interested in the beams (there were more than I could use) I can give you contact about the remaining timbers.

Thanks for the reply.

Greg

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users