Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Handsaws #8255 10/04/01 12:25 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
Id be happy to copy the Disston D8 assuming we can, My favourite saw is an exhibition saw
made by Spear & Jackson it has many of the attributes of the D8 down to the 2 hole handle, I'm told it was very collectable when I bought it, but is now much reduced in value as a result of being used!
(I'm not sure if they mean used generally - or specifically because I've used it!)

We still need to specify length, handle type, steel grade, thickness etc.

Cross cuts too I guess, any one care to post a full spec?

We need people to come forward and say whether we are looking for a deal, ie saws cheaper because we are bulk purchasing, (and if we bought enough straight from the maker - they could well be cheap), or if we are looking for features no longer generally obtainable, (i.e. 30" long blades as originally suggested by Tim. These attributes need not be mutually exclusive.
Lastly I'm sure there would be a feel good factor surrounding the bespoke manufacture of a saw just for the Timber Framing fraternity.
I think that we are looking for a saw maker rather than a local saw doctor who would be willing to have a go. This means we will need to get a handle (no pun) on the numbers so we can advance the investigation. My hunch is that we will need an order into the hundreds to make this work, and this will mean a lot of people stepping up to express an interest.

[This message has been edited by Bill Keir (edited 10-04-2001).]

Bill

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity

While

The Optimist sees Opportunity in every difficulty
Re: Handsaws #8256 10/04/01 08:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its sounds like there are 2 themes going on here. one is to manufacture a few hundred timberframers rip saw to an agreeded spec. The other is to get hold of a some blanks and to make our own custom saws to our individual specs. This could lead to some interesting and heated debate at a frame 2002 event where saws are compared for performance etc!!! As i am not in the market for a rip saw at present i will just look forward to see what develops, and good luck on your quest whichever way you go.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users