Page 1 of 2 1 2
Handsaws #8245 09/23/01 07:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Given the comparitive scarcity of decent ripsaws these days, and our ever dwindling teeth, would there be a Saw Manufacturer somewhere who may produce a small batch of 30" taper ground blades?
I am sure that between us we could use 50 or so. it would be fairly cheap to get the graduated teeth cut and how about casting plastic handles in the shape of your favourite old one?

Re: Handsaws #8246 09/24/01 12:21 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
Seems like a great idea to me, seems like we should aim alittle higher than 50 though, (in order to get a manufacturer interested).
shame about your dwindling teeth, maybe its got somthing to do with that evil moonshine you make!
personally Id prefer a wooden handle And I'm lucky enough have a a spare (somewher)from a totally shot old Diston with the forefinger hole.
it does beg the question though as to what handle we should be thinking of
Can I e-mail this out for general distribution?

Bill

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity

While

The Optimist sees Opportunity in every difficulty
Re: Handsaws #8247 09/24/01 06:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Bill
lets see if anyone else is interested. Most people can lay their hands on a decent old handle, or even make one ... (nice).
I abominate modern squared-off handles, and nobody seems to make nice shaped ones any more.I was just idly musing on the idea of taking a cast of one's favourite handle, and copying it in dense plastic - impervious to rain, woodworm, falls from high roofs, being stepped on etc. sounds a bit naff but could be practical.
Getting the steel blade presents the biggest challenge - who do you suggest I could try

Re: Handsaws #8248 09/25/01 07:34 AM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
This will need some research, Ill get on the case. Where have you looked and found close to but not quite right examples?
Do you have a proposal for a definitive spec?

Bill

While

Re: Handsaws #8249 09/25/01 01:18 PM
Will Truax Offline
Guys, Does one have to reside in extreme Western Europe to play in or would another land mass do ?

I'd go for a 3 pt, based on the Sorby pattern hybridized with that Disston two holer (wooden) handle.

Where are you posting your sign up sheet ?
No better way to find a response than to look for one.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Handsaws #8250 09/26/01 04:53 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
Hello Will welcome to the far side (of the Timber framing pond!)

You would be welcome to 'play-in' and in fact may have jumped the gun a bit.
I was planning to arrive at a spec that most of us could buy in to, then sound out a few of the manufacturers, and follow that up by contacting the Guild or the UKCF and see if they would be prepared to front the deal.

As last resort we would probably do it, but it would be better if a non partisan body were to be the principal buyer / distributor.
I can see a whole mass of carpenters not wanting to buy the "Bill Keir memorial Rip saw - by Carpenter Oak & Woodland Co Ltd"

I think Tim's idea is excelent, and I see that it could go like this:

step 1

Establish a spec that 90% of the people are 90% happy with, (lets not saddle ourselves with impossible targets from the out set - 90% might be too ambitious as it is)

step 2

Find out how many people are realistically interested, and in what price range.

step 3

Find someone who would be prepared to make them.

step 4

Encorage someone to be the principal fronts person, (ideally the TFG id say?)

Right now we need to solicit additional conspirators to our club.

[This message has been edited by Bill Keir (edited 09-26-2001).]

Bill

While

Re: Handsaws #8251 09/26/01 05:28 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
Rip saw spec

28" Long
Graduated Teeth from 7tpi to 3.5 tpi
Breasted tooth line
Skew back
Taper ground
'Diston' style 2 hole handle (wooden)

Bill

While

Re: Handsaws #8252 09/27/01 06:53 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Dear Bill,Will n'All,

You could get these rip saws made up by Garlicks of Sheffield. They make to order. Another place that might help is Atkinsons also of Sheffield.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Handsaws #8253 09/28/01 08:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it sounds like a specification for the classic D8 Disston rip saw. If you are going to copy any rip saw then this is probably going to be top of the list. Incidentaly they did offer one with a plastic handle in the 1940`s i believe!!!! It begs the question as to if it is possible/legal to copy this?, and why hasn`t someone done it already? and do we stop at rip saws or start talking about cross cuts too?? Again a replica of the D8?? Ideally the CF could be involved with distributing them in the Uk.
Also the Axminster tool catalogue offers a 4.5tpi rip saw 26''long ,taper ground,nickel chrome steel with breasted tooth line and solid walnut handle for £57.39 has anybody tried one of these?

Re: Handsaws #8254 10/03/01 07:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great to see some action here
Definitely a 30" blade needed . I use a 30" rip and cross cut. For green oak a well set up 5tpi for cross cutting is perfect in my opinion. I know that more commonly folk use 6 tpi but I reckon that this is because they haven't got their hands on a good 5.
Anyway, my point is that tooth size shouldn't be an issue.
Our local saw sharpening Co can cut graduated teeth by skillfully manipulating the adjustment of the machine while it's chopping out the teeth - (That's about the only skillful thing they can do) -So all we need is skew back taper ground stiff spring tempered blades in blank form. and we can get our own teeth cut, both rip and cross cut.

Re: Handsaws #8255 10/04/01 12:25 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
Id be happy to copy the Disston D8 assuming we can, My favourite saw is an exhibition saw
made by Spear & Jackson it has many of the attributes of the D8 down to the 2 hole handle, I'm told it was very collectable when I bought it, but is now much reduced in value as a result of being used!
(I'm not sure if they mean used generally - or specifically because I've used it!)

We still need to specify length, handle type, steel grade, thickness etc.

Cross cuts too I guess, any one care to post a full spec?

We need people to come forward and say whether we are looking for a deal, ie saws cheaper because we are bulk purchasing, (and if we bought enough straight from the maker - they could well be cheap), or if we are looking for features no longer generally obtainable, (i.e. 30" long blades as originally suggested by Tim. These attributes need not be mutually exclusive.
Lastly I'm sure there would be a feel good factor surrounding the bespoke manufacture of a saw just for the Timber Framing fraternity.
I think that we are looking for a saw maker rather than a local saw doctor who would be willing to have a go. This means we will need to get a handle (no pun) on the numbers so we can advance the investigation. My hunch is that we will need an order into the hundreds to make this work, and this will mean a lot of people stepping up to express an interest.

[This message has been edited by Bill Keir (edited 10-04-2001).]

Bill

While

Re: Handsaws #8256 10/04/01 08:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its sounds like there are 2 themes going on here. one is to manufacture a few hundred timberframers rip saw to an agreeded spec. The other is to get hold of a some blanks and to make our own custom saws to our individual specs. This could lead to some interesting and heated debate at a frame 2002 event where saws are compared for performance etc!!! As i am not in the market for a rip saw at present i will just look forward to see what develops, and good luck on your quest whichever way you go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users