Rate Thread
Glue for repairwork #8257 10/03/01 07:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anybody tried using aerolite 308 for repairs to timber frames? We have been advised to use it in an application where seasoned oak laminates are being stuck to each other and crucially to the ancient timber. These faces , often fairly inaccessible and usually worm eaten, have to be prepared to a specification of + or- 0.2mm!
Now I am not saying that I lack the necessary skill to acheive this extraordinary feat, but IF I was to fail to produce a very fine film thickness, would Aerolite still perform properly?
Would it not be more sensible to use an adhesive that had some keying or gap filling potential where very hard, worm-eaten surfaces are involved. After all, we are continually urged not to remove more material than absolutely necessary.

Re: Glue for repairwork #8258 10/04/01 12:13 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
Tim

I believe TFG member Peter McCurdy, and or Richard Harris director of the W&D at singleton, are the experts in this area.

Your Partner Simon may recall our experiences of the aerolite 308 at the M3 Barn

Bill

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity

While

The Optimist sees Opportunity in every difficulty

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users