Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
tools #8301 09/20/99 09:48 PM
K
kevin moore Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Interested in any comments about the Prazi beam cutter attachment for circular saws. I'm looking at building an addition to my house and do not wish to invest in too much equip. Already have a farm and family that eat up my job $! Also, if anyone has any comments about small bandmills. There are several in the 5,000 range that appear to be able to do the job. Any experiences with these tools would be appreciated.

Re: tools #8302 09/21/99 10:54 AM
M
milton Offline
M
Hi Kevin:
I do not own a Prazi but have used them often enough to know they have value for the person trying not to invest in too many industrial devices.
Regarding bandmills: Converting logs to lumber with any tool requires labor. The smaller the mill, the greater the labor ( in general) It is hard to beat the lumber industry at their game. As a bandmill owner I am happiest that I bought a large tractor to go with it.
If your project uses $3000 of materials as supplied by others, are you prepared to invest $1000 in logs, $1000 of your time, and $5000 in a mill to maybe get the same stuff?

I would be glad to discuss this further and have some suggestions.

Re: tools #8303 09/21/99 04:43 PM
K
kevin moore Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the reply. Just a note to explain my situation. We have a farm with a pretty abundant forest resource. My plan is to utilize and nuture this resource. I do also have a tractor with loader and logging winch. The mill is the last large piece I need, however I do wish to keep the cost as low as possible. Any bells and whistles can be fabricated later if absolutely necessary. I'm looking at the Norwood Industries saw and the Little Oscar II by Hud-Son. These two appear to have a good saw for the $. Thanks.

Re: tools #8304 09/23/99 02:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a Norwood Lumbermate and have used it about 3 years now. Prior to that, I contracted with local sawyers that owned woodmizers like Uncle Milty's or used a large mill with a big circle saw. I wish I had it 10 years ago. I also have a 6000 pound forklift. One of the best things about having my own saw, is having control over the sawing process, especially since I use mostly recycled timbers. The Norwood is a bit weak in a few areas but nothing that would make me wish I didn't have it. I have the optional 13hp and I think they offer an even bigger engine now. As Curtis mentioned, it is lower production than the more expensive mills because there are a few more tasks that are done with your hands and back. You also have to walk more than when you have the electric and hydraulic help. All in all, it has been a great tool for me, but I also use it for many jobs instead of only for my own house.

I used to have a Prazzi beam cutter and found it to be of limited use for accurate sawing of timbers. I did use it to cut curves that would be cleaned up with a planer, scraper or sander and it was good for that. I also used it to cut angles (ie roof pitch and valleys) in stress skin panels but since it pulls sawdust up in front of the bar, it is hard to see your line so we would nail on a guide strip and run along that. Gotta remember to oil the chain after every cut, too. Be careful and good luck.

Re: tools #8305 09/28/99 02:11 AM
M
milton Offline
M
Hi guys:
I bought an Hydraulic woodmizer and a ford 5600 with the large norse winch and loader from a distressed land speculator for 25k US$ in 1989. His loss, my gain. A couple hundred thousand feet later I have no regrets. My suggestion is to buy what you can afford to be a slave to. The idea with your own woodlands is not volume. Ideally you should be able to add value to a tree with your own hands. Selling of lumber is resource extraction. Selling of finished products can be nurtured, sustained, and profitable.
Safety first,
Curtis

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users