Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
End Grain Sealer #8308 10/02/99 01:14 AM
B
Bruce W Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Do's anybody out there have a home recipe for end grain sealer that dosn't stain the timbers, goes on easy, dry's solid, and penetrate's well.

Re: End Grain Sealer #8309 10/02/99 11:20 AM
M
milton Offline
M
Hi Bruce:
Most of the end grain sealers,even if they do not stain the material, will cause holdout of any further surface treatment you might use. Neatly applied all do a good job. I assume this is green timber and perhaps a water based poly would work for you. I have been using whatever the final timber finish will be be for sealing mortises and end grain. I know others that use the latex based end sealer popular with log builders that can be stained later. Wax performs the best if you can be careful.
I'll ask around, but try the www.
Curtis

Re: End Grain Sealer #8310 10/02/99 06:25 PM
B
Bruce W Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the quick response.
I'v used the latex/wax sealer. It works great, but is a bit spendy. I'v used melted bee's wax but the application is a bear. If anybody knows of a solvent that will soften the wax and evaporite after application and dosn't kill everything in a 50' radius, it would help.
Right now I use a combination of evrything depending on the location of the frame. Inside, I use the finish, Dalys mostly. In semi-protected outside locations, bee's wax,the commercial latex/wax; if I can get it, or the finish to be used, in a pinch.
The commercial product is the all around, but it's hard to get. It has to be bought in large quantities and it isn't cheap. I live in an area where log home builders are located every 5 miles down the road. I have bought small amounts from them if they have extra. They only buy what they need and only if the home buyer request's it.
I'll keep looking and dive deeper into the www. Thanks

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users