Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Router Templates for Housings #8422 04/15/03 01:31 PM
daiku Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm curious what folks are using for cutting housings. Hitachi used to sell (but seems to have discontinued) a "housing router" that clamped to the timber, and had "X/Y" lead screws to move the router precisely in a straight line, so you could accurately cut the housing. I've also seen shops using templates, but each joint type requires a custom template. And of course the templates are specific to a particular router. I'd like to hear what other folks are using, or any tips you might have for cutting housings. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Router Templates for Housings #8423 04/28/03 01:42 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I use plywood templates in a variety of ways. But first I use a 3 hp plunge router with speed control and an extended base made of ribbed plexiglass. My router bits are top bearing wide diameter 1.5 in. with a downshear(downshear prevents surface tear out). The bits are relatively short so I have installed an after market quick release chuck that has effectively increased the bit length. The bit must be wider than the chuck to be effective. Of course the wider bit requires a slower operating speed.

Making templates is easy with top bearing bits, since there is no offset from the cutting edge to the bearing, the cut is identical to the template dimensions. Layout the template to the housing size, cut out inside the housing lines with a jig saw, nail sqaure 3/4 stock to the housing layout and make the final cut with the router. Remove the 3/4, the template is finished.

With S4S planed timber, the template can be clamped or screwed directly to the timber, the router depth can be set to uniform depth. Non-uniform timber require special care and individual settings. Square tubular template frames can be effective on non-uniform timber.

I have also used multiple housings on a single long template that align to a reference mark, saving layout detailing.

Consider making a master template, that is used to produce working templates, since there is some risk of template damage during work.

Anyhow, what do you need to do?

Re: Router Templates for Housings #8424 04/30/03 01:22 PM
daiku Offline OP
OP Offline
Roger Wrote:
Quote:
Anyhow, what do you need to do?
Well, I've been kicking around a design for a "universal template" that would work for a variety of housing sizes, and then wondered if I would be re-inventing the wheel. So I thought I'd ask the community what they're currently using. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi, AndyUK, MainiacMatt
5132 Registered Users