Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8556 - 05/10/04 07:56 AM buying a hand plane
Ben D'Orival Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
i'm looking to buy japanese hand planes and are curious as to what size and type are the best to buy.
Also who makes the best planes, i'm looking to spend a few hundred dollars.

#8557 - 05/10/04 03:03 PM Re: buying a hand plane
Bruce Chrustie Offline

Fist question is what are you looking to plane? Why the desire for a Japanese plane?

I bought myself a Lie Neilsen 10 1/4 and love it. If I could find myself an original Stanley I would take it, assuming I had wads of $$ to spend.

Then again a L-N 4 1/2 would be nice as well, but more for my cabinetry.

#8558 - 05/11/04 12:47 PM Re: buying a hand plane
Ben D'Orival Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
I'll be planing large timber posts and beams and as for choosing a japanese plane over a western style hand plane, it's because the method of using the tool seems easier as well as the look and history behind the tool interests me.

#8559 - 05/15/04 06:56 PM Re: buying a hand plane
Timberbee Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
I've been using Japanese Planes for about a dozen years now, maybe a bit more. I purchased my planes from the Japan Woodworker out of california -- they have a web presence.

The planes I typically use are two smoothing planes and a right hand rabbit plane. While I do believe that the Stanely series of Rabbit planes is much "better" at planing shoulders, I long ago gave away my Stanelys and have stuck with my Japanese Rabbit plane.

As far as the smoothing planes go, I rounded one considerably -- making it into a ver nice scrub plane. The Irons NEVER chatter, no matter how proud they are, and, after the first couple of years, no longer chip excessively. I have no complaints with my planes, though, I need to say that I am not as plane dependent as many (I generaly use them more for truing and planing boards and surfaces than for joinery work).

I love wooden planes, and heavy irons.

Moderator:  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 
Newest Members
Janne_Sweden, Whiskey_I, justified, Frank_S, cwhitepoplar
4929 Registered Users