Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tool Offer #8733 02/15/05 10:25 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused OP
OP Online Confused
J
Recently I was given a gift of a fine precision tool by a timber framer that I had helped with a project. This tool is a stainless steel 24" folding rule, that comes in a plastic carrying case.

This rule is called a "Line of Chords".
And this is how you use it to do precision layout.

This jointed rule has an accurate Scale of Chords engraved on one side, from 0° to 120°, advancing by half degrees, and is also provided with two center-dots, one on each blade, by which with the aid of a pair of Dividers, the Rule can be set to any desired angle, or vice versa, any angle can be determined.

Here is an example of how you use it:
Take a length on the line of Chords (from 0° to 26.5°) with the Dividers.

Then open out the blades of the rule until the distance between the dots agrees exactly with the dividers.

The angle made by the blades, either external or internal, is then 26.5°

To Measure an Angle:

This is the reverse of the above. Open the Rule until the blades coincide with the angle to be measured; take the distance between the two dots with the Dividers and see what this represents on the line of Chords. The reading is the angle measured.

This could be used to draw lines on paper, steel, or on wood.

This tool is not available here in the US, but I found a site in England where they can be purchased. And as there could be interest with some of you who intend to do precise timber framing, I thought offer them to all who are interested.

The listed price for this fine precision tool is 14.64 British Pounds which converts to $26.35 USD.
The shipping costs for one would be 17.50 British Pounds which converts to $31.50 USD (just for shipping, one here to me).

I sent out 75 emails to all the timber framers and woodworkers I knew or who I thought might be interested in getting one of these tools.
I took some orders and got a shipment of these from the UK recently.
Due to the fact that I had them all shipped to me in one box, I got the shipping price down to $5.65 each. So, with the cost of the rule ($26.35) and shipping to me ($5.65) the tool cost is now $32 each.
I've mailed them out all over the country and the cost to mail them in a shipping tube is $2 to almost everywhere I've sent it.
If you'd like to get one send to you the total cost is $34, each.
I sold out the original order.

But, I've been contacted by several people asking if I was going to get some more of these Rules in and have them available for sale.
I can place another order for some but would like to have them sold in advance.
In order to get the price down to the $34 as before we need to have orders for 18 rules.
Right now I have orders for 5.
So if anyone is interested in getting one of the fine precision rules for using them with wood, metal or drawing on paper, let me know and I'll add your name to my list.
Once the list is nearly complete (18 on order) I'll contact the company and get a shipment started.
If you are interested in getting one of these nice rules, please let me know as soon as possible.

Jim Rogers
Jim Rogers Timber Designs
Jim Rogers Sawmill
Georgetown, MA

PS. If you'd like to see some photos of this rule please Click on this link! (And scroll down through the same offer to view the photos.)

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Tool Offer #8734 02/17/05 01:52 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused OP
OP Online Confused
J
Update:
I now have 12 on order........
Also, I just checked the exchange rate. It has changed 10 cents since last fall.
What that means to us is that the base rate of the rule has gone up from $26.35 to $27.68.
I've emailed the company to see when they'll have a shipment ready and the actual costs.
I'll let you know as soon as I have all the answers.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users