Print Thread
Rate Thread
moulding plane(s) #8737 02/21/05 10:38 AM
O
oliver Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hello,

First I must tell you I have no particular experience but I do have a pedigree. My father, now 80, was Queen Elizabeth's cabinet maker.

I want to build natural homes without using electricity, (I have none on the plot of land). For the interior I want to make my own dado, architrave and ornate skirting etc.

I've been looking at various multi-purpose plough planes but I'm not sure which of the many types to go for... Stanley 55, 405 etc.

Can anyone with practical user experience, not collector object experience, recommend a flexible plane for the job.

Regards,

Oliver

Oliver at Greenhamlet.com
Re: moulding plane(s) #8738 02/22/05 01:32 PM
D
Dan Miller Offline
D
Hi Oliver,

The Stanley 45 is primarily used for grooving and dadoing, beading, and cutting t&g. It is not meant for doing more ornate mouldings. The Stanley 55 is designed to do more ornate stuff - look at a picture of the cutters offered to get an idea of what it can do. Both planes are quite cantankerous and fussy to set up. They work marginally well, as there is no bearing surface ahead of the cutter, which leads to tear-out and ragged moldings. See these links for more info about the planes:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan6.htm
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan8.htm

Depending on what you want to achieve, you may be better off in the long run assembling a set of wooden moulding planes. You can do a lot with a set of hollows and rounds, combined with a plow plane. Wooden beading planes and dado planes are quite common and fairly inexpensive (and fun to use!). Simple moulding planes (like ogees) are also fairly common and inexpensive. Complex moulders are more expensive, but are available, especially if you are not trying to match an historical piece.

If you do opt to go for the 45 or 55 (which I can understand because you do get a lot of options in one fell swoop), other brands, like Sargent, Wards, Craftsman, etc. can often be had cheaper than Stanleys. They work equally well, and some were even made by Stanley. I've got enough bits here to put together two working 45's. If interested I could send some prices.

Cheers,
Dan

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users