Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Prazi beam saw #8752 03/01/05 01:03 AM
N
nvh-srjones Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I recently began cutting the frame for my house, and I wasn't excited about the prospect of laying out all four sides, then cutting all four sides, and finally finishing it off with a handsaw. I'd heard about the Prazi beam saw, but I'd really only read about it's use (within the context of timberframing) for cutting SIPS. After reading all the reviews, I took the plunge and bought it.

I was wondering, do other timberframers out there use the Prazi beam saw for this purpose?

After some trial and error, I've found that by using a Prazi beam saw, I can make quick, accurate and square cuts. However, there are 3 things I need to do to ensure a good cut.

1. Frequently check to make sure that the bar is completly square with the foot.

2. To prevent tearout, I score the cutline with a utility knife first.

3. To ensure a straight cut, I hold a rafter sized speed square with a pipe clamp exactly 3 5/8" to the right of the cut line (that's what it is for my saw anyway)

At $130 plus the cost of a Bosch 1677M, the price is right (compared to monster circ saws or the more expensive European chain carpentry saws)

I'm also able to cut tenons, but I still need a little more practice on that.

Thoughts?

Re: The Prazi beam saw #8753 03/01/05 05:35 AM
S
Scott McClure Offline
S
I make a dedicated resting block for mine so I don't have to lay it on it's side & torque the bar/base plate. It stays pretty square this way. If it's a show cut , I too score the line but cut a bit shy of it & pare to it. I do the rafter square thing too, but have been burned by having the clamp vibrate loose. I don't trust it. Keep your chain sharp & oiled, use a rip chain if you're doing a lot of cheek cuts with the grain & watch out for the part of the bar hanging out of the work making contact with your leg. I've used mine mostly for tenons on logs.

Re: The Prazi beam saw #8754 03/01/05 06:27 AM
jim haslip Offline
Hi Scott, Used one at a job last summer. Worked great for cutting curved braces. Of course, they had to been cleaned up after the Prazi was done, but they looked better than straight braces. Used Canola oil for lubrication so that it was enviro-friendly, didn't stain either... if you think they are expensive, try buying one with Canadian dollars... jlhaslip@telus.net

Re: The Prazi beam saw #8755 03/01/05 06:50 PM
N
nvh-srjones Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the advice.

I'll switch to using canola oil since the silicon spray (recommended by Prazi) I've been using is pretty nasty.

I also like the idea of a resting block to keep the bar square.

-srj

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users