Print Thread
Rate Thread
Newbie needing some advice on tools and timing.... #9030 02/02/06 05:41 PM
H
hikingonthru Offline OP
OP Offline
H
(Cross post from general forum)

This may seem a strange request, but I am starting from scratch trying to locate some information. With the arrival of Hurr. Katrina, home prices went through the roof here in upstate SC. So, to escape the 30 year mortgage trap my family and I have decided to build a timberframe home and frame our outbuildings.

I have 68 acre farm with about 30-33 acres in second growth timber. Some decent white oak, a 15-30 poplars reaching 50 - 100 feet I am willing to fell, and a lot of red oak. The design is a simple single story colonial with the attic used as extra sleeping space, 6-8 bents, rafter to post roof construction. Later on a duplicate structure will be built beside and attached to form a modified dogtrot sort of arrangement. However I am in need of tools and knowledge. Allow me to tell you what I have in hand and get input as to what I need to get or replace.

I am having a hard time locating a hewing axe and really do not know what to look for, what is a fair asking price, or who is a good manufacturer. I did buy one off of ebay recently for about $15.00 that is stamped "T. Steen" and looks to be cast iron with about 1 - 1 1/2 inches of steel inlay left. 10 inch face and needs to be resharpened.

I have a 1and1/2 inch framing chisel in need of reworking. I have a two handed curved-handle 4" wide adze in need of sharpening, various t-handled augers in need of sharpening, several drawknives (very sharp) and a halfway decent spud.

Could I trouble you to ask you for assistance in this matter? I thank you in advance for your help! What to get. Where to get it. How to sharpen what I have in hand. Where to locate a chisel sharpening guide. What timber is suitable to use. ANYTHING you all have to offer I certainly will be grateful to hear.

Thanks from upstate SC,
hikingonthru

Chris Broome
> Upstate SC
> USA

Strive always to live upright and honestly - else your talent can take you where your character cannot sustain you.
Re: Newbie needing some advice on tools and timing.... #9031 02/04/06 05:21 PM
R
rlipeles Offline
R
I have a list of various timber framing tools for sale. If you would like a copy contact me @ rlipeles@sbcglobal.net. As far as sharpening. I use a horizontal belt sander. Dip the edge being sharpened in water then start lapping away on the belt sander. When the water is just about all evaporated, dip it again.

Re: Newbie needing some advice on tools and timing.... #9032 02/05/06 03:47 PM
A
Andy Roeper Offline
A
Chris,

I would highly recommend " The Complete Guide to Sharpening" by Leonard Lee. You can get it through Lee Valley Tools or through other on-line sources.

Andy

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
CharlieM, Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT
5138 Registered Users