Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tool Swap at Eastern Conference 2007 #9376 01/17/07 11:40 PM
W
Whit Holder Offline OP
OP Offline
W
We are considering the idea of having a tool swap at the Montebello conference this fall. Right now, the general idea would be to have a dedicated room (such as the bookstore always has) and everyone would be welcome (and encouraged) to bring their favorite old tools. Buying, selling, and trading would be fine, but the real aim is to give the conference a hand tool infusion.
This would possibly feature a "debate of the carpenter's tools" which is a regular occurence at the Carpenters Fellowship's FRAME event. A couple of knowledgeable framers are invited to bring their tool kits, and have a very informal discussion about whatever rare, weird, or special tools anyone wants to talk about.
I'd like to get some feedback from folks:
Do you think this would be a good idea for the conference?
Would you be willing to bring some tools to show?
Would you check it out even if you don't bring tools?
I look forward to hearing what folks think about this.
Cheers,
Whit

Re: Tool Swap at Eastern Conference 2007 #9377 01/17/07 11:52 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
My first thoughts are that we'll need to do some research on bringing tools over the border. There may be a tax or something like that when you state that these are 'for sale' and will be sold over there.
We did a workshop up there last time and there was some notice, from the guild, to say to the border crossing guards, that these were personal tools, that we were bringing in, and that they weren't for sale.
I'm sure if Will B reads this he can give up some info on what may or may not happen.

Personally I think it's a great idea, but we'll have to work out the details. I won't be leaving any of my personal tools in a room, when I'm not there, but I would bring some to show and maybe swap.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Tool Swap at Eastern Conference 2007 #9378 01/18/07 12:50 AM
Tom Cundiff Offline
Quote:
the real aim is to give the conference a hand tool infusion.
Long overdue. If I can make the conference I will check it out.
The border crossing could be an issue as will airport security.
I would be willing to bring my itinerant tool kit if I didn't have to cross the border. Tom

Not all who wander are lost.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users