Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Makita 13" saw #9423 02/07/07 11:13 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
Well John, are they paying attention? There are more posts to this topic than any other in the tool forum. Most of Makita's tools for timber framing have been unavailable in the US since 2000. In most cases there is no other alternatives. Here is an opportunity for them to practicaly corner the market. I personally don't understand why a company that manufactures tools for timber framing is unwilling to sell them to timber framers. Tom confused

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: Makita 13" saw #9424 02/08/07 01:32 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I own and use Makita tf tools, I am impressed by the tools quality and am very concerned by the grey market status. I had a 13" saw in service and it sat unused due to a repair issue. I liked the saw but lack of support would be a crucial negative in any future purchase plans.

I hope Makita or Hitachi will bring professional tf tools to the North American market, it's a continental market that is growing.

E.H., the chisel mortiser is, in my view, perfect for Japanese style work where detailed work needs to be done inside the mortise, not very good for high speed mortising and no good for dry hardwoods.

Re: Makita 13" saw #9425 02/10/07 12:53 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Tom,

thanks for the pics.
I kind of was picturing the chisel mortiser the way it is shown.
Did not know that they also make a chain mortiser similar to the Mafell that cuts cross grain.

When they say european market are they talking about Britain mostly, cause I have never seen any of those tools in Germany? Just the 16" saw and some smaller ones and the 6" planer.

Re: Makita 13" saw #9426 02/14/07 04:07 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have recieved this from our buddy at Makita who has looked over this forum

"Thank you for the information John. Market information such as this is key to initiating product developments, and I have forwarded details of this interest to our planning committee. I cannot say when or if the project will be approved, but if it is we may ask for your assistance in developing the final solution."

I have suggested to him that they send a rep to the West. Conference to see who we are and ask questions of the framers there.

We will see

J.E.B.

Re: Makita 13" saw #9427 02/14/07 10:53 PM
W
Whit Holder Offline
W
Thanks for your initiative, John.

Re: Makita 13" saw #9428 03/18/07 07:28 PM
D
David F. Offline
D
I'd buy a 13" Makita. We have three planers and three 16" Saws -all Makita. The 10 inch Milwakees base and depth adjustments are a joke.

David

Re: Makita 13" saw [Re: David F.] #11755 06/08/07 01:52 AM
C
Collin Beggs Offline
C
Hi John,
I do not know if you have had any response from Makita, but I would just like to say that they do not need to do product development they just need to offer the tools they already make to the USA. Specifically the 5103R and the 5143R Circular Saws.

I am kinda buming, because I am having so much difficulty even having them shipped from the UK. They are all the tool of a Mafel at half the cost.
-Collin

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400)
Re: Makita 13" saw [Re: E.H.Carpentry] #11768 06/08/07 01:08 PM
brad_bb Offline
I'd be interested in a 13" Makita saw.

Re: Makita 13" saw [Re: John Buday] #11789 06/12/07 08:25 PM
L
Lignator Offline
L
I've been reading the posts about the 13" Makita with interest, since I've been using one for about 3 months.

The main problem I have had with it is the perpendicularity of the blade to the base. I had to spend about an hour filing off humps in it(the base)while in the middle of a job it was bought for, because it wouldn't saw square even with the accurate jigs I made for it. If I had more time, I'd treat the base to the kind of flat grinding over abrasive/flat plate that you do with hand-planes.

As said by Tom earlier in this thread, you can "adjust" it by the way you saw, but it would be so much easier if it was made properly in the first place.

Otherwise it's a useful tool I wouldn't be without.

ref the Makita mortiser: I don't have any problems with this tool, after 3 years use. The chains are very easy to sharpen yourself (I do it by eye with a Dremel). However, I have just purchased a Mafell and will be interested in the comparisons.

ref the Makita beam planer: recently planed 10 tons of dry oak with it, without any problem, though the knives must be changed as soon as they start to lose a good edge.

Conclusion: thanks to Makita, but not to the guy who manages production of the baseplates (seen it in other models).

PS based in Channel Isles between UK and France

Last edited by Lignator; 06/12/07 08:30 PM. Reason: addition
Re: Makita 13" saw [Re: Lignator] #11792 06/12/07 11:36 PM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Originally Posted By: Lignator
I've been reading the posts about the 13" Makita with interest, since I've been using one for about 3 months.

The main problem I have had with it is the perpendicularity of the blade to the base.

As said by Tom earlier in this thread, you can "adjust" it by the way you saw, but it would be so much easier if it was made properly in the first place.

Otherwise it's a useful tool I wouldn't be without.

However, I have just purchased a Mafell and will be interested in the comparison

Conclusion: thanks to Makita, but not to the guy who manages production of the baseplates (seen it in other models).

PS based in Channel Isles between UK and France

Lignator,

congratulation on your Mafell Mortiser. You will not regret the purchase, believe me.
As for the NEW!!! saw needing adjustment. You get what you pay for. There are a lot of guys here that swear on Makita mainly because it is a lot less expensive then other brands. At the same time they are complaining about weight (5-10 lbs more than a any MAfell!!!!) hard to find parts or tools not available anymoreor at least not on the US market. If not Mafell than I would opt for Hema/Protool just not Makita. Sorry guys.

Edited for smilies. I was going to have them within my post but instead the ended up in the header???????? Oh well, that needs improvement as well.

Last edited by E.H.Carpentry; 06/12/07 11:39 PM. Reason: Smilies
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users