Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9465 01/28/07 02:56 AM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
I just got a Veritas MKII and a DMT Duosharp fine/x-fine stone today and I am very happy with the results. I had been hand stoning my plane and shave irons by hand on 2x6 inch natural stones but wasn't doing to great with them. The DMT "stones" are 4x10 inches and give you a ton of room to work. The Veritas MKII has a new angle finding fence on it that really sets the iron up perfectly. If anyone is in the market for a sharpening system, I would give this some thought. The bigger DMTs are a bit expensive at $120, but they stay flat all the time and won't need to be dressed like a waterstone.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9466 01/29/07 05:49 PM
daiku Offline
I have some small DMT "stones" that I use for sharpening corner chisels. I agree with Dave that the waterstones are a pain as they need to be flattened. They're also expensive and messy. We use the old sandpaper method for chisels, slicks, planer blades, etc:

Just a big piece of plate glass with 9 different grits of sandpaper mounted with spray adhesive. Grits are from 220 up to 2000. You get the finer grits at the auto parts store, they use them for auto body paint. Since there are so many grits, you don't need to spend much time on each one. Just a dozen strokes each on the front and back, then move to the next grit. If they tear or wear out, just glue down another 25 cent sheet. A lot cheaper than 9 waterstones. Our station is always set up next to the Tormek, so it's really easy to freshen up your edge. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9467 01/30/07 12:11 AM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
That's a very nice setup daiku. I was thinking of doing something similiar with a granite surface plate. The x-fine DMT is 9 microns, about equal to a 2000 grit water stone. I was thinking of getting one 8000 waterstone to finish honing. I also may be getting a proprietary stone from someone I know that is even better than that, but we'll see.

Dave

Re: Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9468 01/30/07 02:17 PM
daiku Offline
Dave:

Note that the grit ratings on stones and sandpaper are not compareable. 2000 grit sandpaper feels like... paper. You can't see or feel the abrasive. It creates a mirror surface on metal. Also, it's critical that the base be as flat and smooth as possible. While the granite will certainly not flex, it will probably have a lot of small pits, even when polished. I know my kitchen countertop does, anyway. Maybe a piece of glass (smooth) on top of a piece of granite (flat and stiff)? CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9469 01/31/07 02:58 AM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
Granite surface plates are found in machine shop tool rooms. They are usually flat to at least .0005 inch, and can be much more. The easiest way to compare abrasives is to compare the particle size in microns. The x-fine DMT is 9 microns, as is the 2000 Japanese, and 4/0 emery cloth. The japanese stones have the finest grain structure that I am aware of, a 10,000 Japanese stone is .3 microns. Do you know which system your papers are rated in? I like the idea of having inexpensive paper that I can just toss when it's used up.

Dave

Re: Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9470 01/31/07 05:41 AM
Z
Zach LaPerriere Offline
Z
I have a couple of big DMT stones, too that I'm really happy with. They were pricey, but I've abandoned the water stones and even sandpaper because, as the ads claim, good diamond stones cut a lot faster. I like the course combo stone, too, blue and black, if my memory serves me. Great for really removing some steel, if you have to. And darned good for axes, by the way.

In extreme cases and for planer knives (with the handy jig) I like my ancient Makita 300 grit power wetstone. It'll get a chisel suprisingly close ready to use.

Best,
Zach

Re: Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9471 01/31/07 02:35 PM
daiku Offline
Dave:

I'll stand corrected on the granite. The only stuff I've seen close up is my kitchen counter. I assume that like anything else, there's a range of quality and precision to be had. If it's good enough for machinists, then it ought to be good for sharpening, eh? Now that I think about it, sharpening and machining sound kind of similar...

Which system my paper is rated in? I guess I really don't know. The coarse grits I just pick up at the hardware store. The finer stuff at the auto parts store (a little more expensive). It's all 3M, wet or dry silicon carbide. I once had an isntructor tell me that the grit system is different than for stones. That's all I can tell you. It sounds like you know more about it that I do. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9472 01/31/07 02:46 PM
daiku Offline
Wikipedia to the rescue:

Sandpaper Chart

This seems to indicate that my 2000 grit sandpaper has average grain size of 10 microns. So it does appear to be about the same as your 2000 Japanese. I wonder about the honing compound I put on the Tormek's leather wheel?

Also from Wikipedia:
Scary Sharp

I first heard about this method on the old usenet back in the day, as described in the wiki article. I found the wiki article as a link from the waterstones page :-) CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9473 02/08/07 06:22 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
My sharpening setup.

I use my diamond stone to flatten the wheel on the Makita sharpener. The extra wheel on the shelf is a green stone (120 grit) from Highland Hardware . Really nice for the big nicks and doesn't get hot like the belt sander. The old sink works great for the sharpener as they can make a real mess sometimes. Overflow from the sharpener drains into the barrel under the sink.

Note. No, I don't use Becks instead of water. I am planing to use the can (a souvenir from the Russell Colbath Rendezvou) for a warm water reservoir, my well water is really cold. Tom

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: Veritas MKII and DMT stones :) #9474 02/08/07 07:29 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
I use a Tormek for grinding and 3M's micro abrasive film on the cast iron tables of my jointer for honing and polishing. The micro abrasive film is adhesive backed and available in grits down to 3 microns.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users