Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Timber Cart & Wrench #9525 02/15/07 04:18 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline OP
OP Offline
Just a couple of general survey questions.

Would you purchase a heavy duty timber cart specifically designed for timber framing if one were available? Estimated price is $450-500 for a 1000lb.+ capacity cart with reversable/removable tow handle and adjustable timber stops.

The other item that may become available is an adjustable timber wrench. The working design allows for jaw openings from ~5 to ?? inches by halfs.

These items would be all powder coated steel box beam an tubular constructuion with comfort grips and highway rated pneumatic tires.

Thank you for any input you have to offer.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9526 02/16/07 01:19 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
I personally don't need a cart as I already have one(Kubota L48), but what is a timber wrentch? Is it for assembling timber that have twisted? I have seen one of those made from two pieces of plywood and a 2x6. I just hate mentioning plywood, uggh.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9527 02/16/07 02:07 AM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
Hey Dave
Instead of plywood you could just glue up layers of 1 inch wood to make a laminated piece of timber to meet you needs. Well it is not "ply" wood anyways! :p
Bob

Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9528 02/16/07 03:19 AM
R
Ron Mansour Offline
R
Raphael, that timber cart seems quite pricey, but yea, sounds very interesting. Any photo's? Are these going to be custom made just for you, or can the general public get access to one? Ron

Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9529 02/16/07 04:55 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mansour:
Raphael, that timber cart seems quite pricey, but yea, sounds very interesting. Any photo's? Are these going to be custom made just for you, or can the general public get access to one? Ron
The price is just a rough guesstimate (hopefully high) on my part as there isn't a fabricated prototype... So no real photos either, but the design is roughly based on my wooden timber cart with some much needed improvements.

As for availability, that's part of why I'm posing the question, to see if there might be enough demand to add it to an existing product line.

A timber wrench would be a non-marring cant hook like device for turning timbers on the saw horses to facilitate layout and cutting.

Raphael D. Swift
Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9530 02/16/07 01:44 PM
R
Ron Mansour Offline
R
sign me up, I'd be very interested in both.

Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9531 02/16/07 04:40 PM
D
DKR Offline
D
I've been gathering materials to build a cart for myself, based on various pictures I've seen on this website. I've bought those filled wheelbarrow tires, which are pricy but will never go flat. I've also decided I like the idea of a handle (like on the cart timber goddess posted), so that I can wheel it around easier when empty. I had planned to have the handle extend out from the top of the cart, not the bottom, so that it wouldn't get in the way when loaded and moving timbers. I don't see any need to have the handle reversable. Finally, I think I'll weld mine out of tubing instead of making it out of wood as it seems that I could then use a longer, thinner, handle. I'll post pictures and costs of materials when it warms up so I can weld it in my cold garage.

Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9532 02/16/07 05:56 PM
OP Offline
I work solo so the low handle holds the cart in a near vertical position while I wrestle the timber. When the weight of the timber comes down on the cart the handle comes up off the ground.

The design on the table calls for a reciever allowing the handle to be removed so it's completely out of the way when moving a timber. The handle will be curved and terminate in a T so one way up it's acting as your ground hold the other way up it's a convienant tow handle and gives you ground clearance while moving the timber. It could also act as another point of contact for your less than straight (crown up) timbers.

This flipping of the handle was my primary focus when it came to it's design, being able to feed it into either end of the reciever is just a bonus convienance since you can decide which way the cart will flop as you remove the timber.

Raphael D. Swift
Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9533 02/17/07 02:14 AM
R
Ron Mansour Offline
R
Raphael, any idea when either the cart or the wrench would be available for purchase?

Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9534 02/17/07 06:44 AM
OP Offline
Their last product went from the drawing board through prototype, testing, redesign and into production in about 5 weeks. I'd say the developement time line for the cart should be the same or less and the wrench just a matter of a week maybe two.

The biggest hold up right now is financial, they just bought an entire product line so aren't in a good position to speculate and I'm beyond broke at the moment so I can't afford to back a prototype cart for at least a month. I'm sending them a mock up of the wrench next week.

Raphael D. Swift
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users