Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
your favorite edge tool maker #9614 03/22/07 09:53 PM
W
Whit Holder Offline OP
OP Offline
W
OK, maybe this has been discussed, but I am curious to know who your favorite makers are.

I am also curious how many of you use old steel vs. new steel. I use both.

I love my old D.R. Barton slick I bought from Jim at the Burlington conference. The back is slightly convex and that makes all the difference for me.

For new steel, I am really starting to love my Sorby 1 1/2".

I'll post pics in a week or so when I have more time.

Whit

Re: your favorite edge tool maker #9615 03/22/07 10:32 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I started out with Woodcraft-Henry Taylor chisels, then Barr and now most often old tools are prefered. The best chisel, easy to sharpen, durable and well formed to task, was a Penfield, an ugly duck flea market beater. The most beautiful are William Beatty. Favorite slick is a no-name. The difference between the best and the rest is so close that I respect all the old laminated tools and use them before the modern.

Re: your favorite edge tool maker #9616 03/23/07 01:00 PM
daiku Offline
TH Witherby. We have three slicks, and several framing chisels. Laminated backs stay sharp a long time. Plus, I just love rehabbing antiques. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: your favorite edge tool maker #9617 03/23/07 01:06 PM
Mark Davidson Offline
An old ontario maker I like is Warnock, from Galt.
And I agree with Whit, the sorby chisels have a great feel, I have a couple of barr chisels which I use but I use the sorby chisels more.

Re: your favorite edge tool maker [Re: Whit Holder] #14082 01/25/08 03:24 AM
B
bloveland Offline
B
I feel the need to comment on this thread for the mere sake of supporting other craftsmen. I own old and new steel and quite prefer my Barr over the others. That is kind of beside my point though. I believe that it is important to support individuals (like ourselves) who possess a particular set of skills that pays attention to detail. "hand worked tools for hand worked timbers". I am sure that Barr doesn't fit the picture in my head of one solitary man pounding away on steel all day long but still, you get the point. hand vs. machine, hand cut vs. hundegger. food for thought or maybe I am beating a dead horse.
bloveland

Re: your favorite edge tool maker [Re: Whit Holder] #14083 01/25/08 03:29 AM
B
bloveland Offline
B
I feel the need to comment on this thread for the mere sake of supporting other craftsmen. I own old and new steel and quite prefer my Barr over the others. That is kind of beside my point though. I believe that it is important to support individuals (like ourselves) who possess a particular set of skills that pays attention to detail. "hand worked tools for hand worked timbers". I am sure that Barr doesn't fit the picture in my head of one solitary man pounding away on steel all day long but still, you get the point. hand vs. machine, hand cut vs. hundegger. food for thought or maybe I am beating a dead horse.
bloveland

Re: your favorite edge tool maker [Re: bloveland] #14088 01/25/08 12:11 PM
K
kfhines Offline
K
TH Witherby, PS&W are on the top of the list for chisels. Stanley and Lie Nielsen for hand planes. The LN planes are only new edge tools I own. I like using the old steel so much that I haven't felt the need to buy a new chisel. Now the planes are a different story I do like the LN planes over most others.

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
Victor Hugo
Re: your favorite edge tool maker [Re: kfhines] #14090 01/25/08 03:36 PM
brad_bb Offline
I'm reconditioning 7 THwitherby chisels for myself. My initial cost plus money spent to refurbish them and sharpen them probably puts the cost about the same at the Barr or slightly more. I've tried someone else's Barr chisels and they were quite nice. I wouldn't have a problem owning Barr. For whatever reason I decided to go down the Antique road. Either will get the job done if sharp.

Re: your favorite edge tool maker [Re: brad_bb] #14126 01/29/08 12:08 PM
Z
Zach LaPerriere Offline
Z
I love my Swans, and I think the laminated are perhaps even a little better.

Re: your favorite edge tool maker [Re: Zach LaPerriere] #14138 01/30/08 02:52 PM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline
B
Heck....I don't want to disclose my favorite steel since I may be in competition with some of you on future purchases wink

Though I tend to prefer the items from the 1800's as already mentioned above. I do have a couple of PS&W items I am not fond of compared to the rest and am a bit surprised some like them.

LN makes awesome planes though smile

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users